Quote Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
Just read this interesting and insightful article in The Verge - Phoning it in: the dirty secret of IP calling, and how it will change the phone industry
I make voipO calls on my android. I only use it when I need to make a lot of calls and I don't feel like using up a bunch of my minutes. But there is an "ADDITIONAL" problem added to the original problem with voip. You've added more jitter and latency.

Definitely a good article. Unfortunately, until the "Net Neutrality" folks are educated; or technology changes where time sensitive data can be handled differently, voice and video conferencing will still have to compete with surfing, gaming, email, etc...The work around currently has been to add more bandwidth. But that isn't the answer. Voip calls don't need more than 120 kbps. But when all the other traffic on the internet and within your IsP's network, packets compete for what order they come in. Data can buffer; voip and video conferencing are very sensitive.

I think that most people could live with giving time sensitive apps like voip and video conferencing priority; unfortunately, there are the "Gamers" who think they should also have priority because their hobby is time sensitive. Until internet traffic is allowed to be prioritized, or technologically separated so the different types of traffic don't have to compete with lower priority traffic; voip will always have certain issues.