Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Incoming Calls, NOT!

Default Re: Incoming Calls, NOT!

Just read this interesting and insightful article in The Verge - Phoning it in: the dirty secret of IP calling, and how it will change the phone industry
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SpaethCo View Post
    VoIP already is a product for the masses, but most people don't know that's actually what their phone is using. Just look at all the cable companies that offer phone service, in addition to ATT U-Verse and Verizon FiOS Voice. All of those products are delivered using the same IP protocols that providers like VOIPo use, the only difference is they get to connect their ATA widget directly to their network as it enters the customer home so that any equipment that a customer has installed won't be a factor.

Internet-based providers are at the mercy of whatever the customer has on their home network, which is why you have reports of everything from "it works perfectly" to "it never works right" even from neighbors who both use the same VoIP service.
    So true. Couple other things. Ma'Bell has been sending your phone calls basically voip for over 30 years. You don't think one call on one pair of wires goes cross country to talk to grandma; do you? But again; it's an internal network. Also; one of the reasons the cable company's "Digital Voice" costs more than voip like vonage and voipo, is because they aren't traversing the country over the internet. They use IP basically from your house to their head end or possibly regional, but it's handed off to the PTSN system much sooner. Hence, why you pay $35 for digital voice over the cable company. But you are correct; people have been using some form of "VOIP" for a long time. Especially their long distance through ma'bell for 30+ years.
    Mike
    "Born Wild - Raised Proud"
    Do you like your life? - Thank a Vet!!!

Quote Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
    Just read this interesting and insightful article in The Verge - Phoning it in: the dirty secret of IP calling, and how it will change the phone industry
    I make voipO calls on my android. I only use it when I need to make a lot of calls and I don't feel like using up a bunch of my minutes. But there is an "ADDITIONAL" problem added to the original problem with voip. You've added more jitter and latency.

Definitely a good article. Unfortunately, until the "Net Neutrality" folks are educated; or technology changes where time sensitive data can be handled differently, voice and video conferencing will still have to compete with surfing, gaming, email, etc...The work around currently has been to add more bandwidth. But that isn't the answer. Voip calls don't need more than 120 kbps. But when all the other traffic on the internet and within your IsP's network, packets compete for what order they come in. Data can buffer; voip and video conferencing are very sensitive.

I think that most people could live with giving time sensitive apps like voip and video conferencing priority; unfortunately, there are the "Gamers" who think they should also have priority because their hobby is time sensitive. Until internet traffic is allowed to be prioritized, or technologically separated so the different types of traffic don't have to compete with lower priority traffic; voip will always have certain issues.
    Mike
    "Born Wild - Raised Proud"
    Do you like your life? - Thank a Vet!!!

Quote Originally Posted by christcorp View Post
    So true. Couple other things. Ma'Bell has been sending your phone calls basically voip for over 30 years. You don't think one call on one pair of wires goes cross country to talk to grandma; do you? But again; it's an internal network. Also; one of the reasons the cable company's "Digital Voice" costs more than voip like vonage and voipo, is because they aren't traversing the country over the internet. They use IP basically from your house to their head end or possibly regional, but it's handed off to the PTSN system much sooner. Hence, why you pay $35 for digital voice over the cable company. But you are correct; people have been using some form of "VOIP" for a long time. Especially their long distance through ma'bell for 30+ years.
    You are correct....going back to my roots with my telephone company, I remember that we had to use MCI and their microwave network (UGH!) to service a customer in Phila, as that was the only way we could get there at the time. The service was primitive and even though the towers up the coast had self-healing loops, every time there was a storm or lightning, the service went down and had to be reset manually and there weren't too many ways to contact TCG (remember them?) at the time.