PDA

View Full Version : Voipo on inside wiring

leons
01-15-2009, 01:37 PM
With my previous provider (Verizon Voicewing), I had the phone output from the Linksys PPA2 go into a "2 for 1" phone line splitter.... 1 phone cord going to a close by telephone, and 1 phone cord going into a phone jack that is connected to home telephone wiring. The result was that the home telephone wiring was "live" with Voicewing. Has anyone successfully done this with Voipo, and the adapter that they are (currently) shipping?

Vumes
01-15-2009, 02:32 PM
I wouldn't see it as a problem hooking it up the same way as you had your VW hooked up. Just make sure the box outside has the external pots line UNHOOKED.

leons
01-15-2009, 03:06 PM
It is...but looking for someone who has done this with the current adapter to be sure it has enough "power".

I wouldn't see it as a problem hooking it up the same way as you had your VW hooked up. Just make sure the box outside has the external pots line UNHOOKED.

zevin
01-15-2009, 03:52 PM
I am running mine that way. Well kinda... not using a splitter, but got the whole house hooked up with 3 phones. Works like a charm. I might even say it is louder than my POTS.

How many phones are you hooking up?

Like Vumes said make sure the out side NID is disconnected.

ralfaro
01-16-2009, 01:07 PM
I have the GrandStream HT502 connected directly to a phone jack under my desk. This gives me dial tone throughout the entire house on every phone jack. I have 1 multi-handset Panasonic cordless phone set, a fax machine, and 3 wired phones connected in various rooms, and I have had no issues. all of the phones ring as expected. Works great.

RA

quattrohead
01-17-2009, 08:34 AM
This works fine as long as you do not go over the R.E.N rating of the HT502.
This is usually 4 and most modern phones represent a load of less than 0.5, externally powered phones are 0.1

christcorp
01-17-2009, 08:49 PM
Yes, I do it. And for what it's worth, I have 10 phones and 2 directv receivers connected to it. As for the "Power" you are worried about; that only applies to 1) RINGING VOLTAGE and 2) How many phones you plan on picking up at the same time. For the ringing voltage, I simply don't turn ALL THE RINGERS ON. I leave the ringer on with the 1910 Country Junction Wall/Candlestick phone because turning off the bells is a pain in the butt. Same with my 1957 Chrome Pay phone. Other than those 2, I turn the ringers on 3 other phones. Basically a total of 5. They are spread around the house well enough that when the phone rings, you will hear one of them. You can answer ANY of them and use ANY of them. Only 5 ring. As for how many are on the phone at the same time, I don't recommend 4 people on the phone trying to talk to grandma at the same time. But I've had my wife and I on at the same time talking to my daughter or son while they are away at college. later... mike....

serialportme
01-27-2009, 05:38 PM
Question - Verizon knows nothing...but... I just ported out to Voipo. I still have my DSL with them. They tell me a dry loop happens automatically - i just need to update billing. The say no outside wiring is done.

If I do not have any tone on my line, is it safe to plug in the HT502 directly into the jack to send the signal out to the other jacks? I am concerned about having the "external pots line UNHOOKED". Can or will Verizon do this for me?

burris
01-27-2009, 05:44 PM
Question - Verizon knows nothing...but... I just ported out to Voipo. I still have my DSL with them. They tell me a dry loop happens automatically - i just need to update billing. The say no outside wiring is done.

If I do not have any tone on my line, is it safe to plug in the HT502 directly into the jack to send the signal out to the other jacks? I am concerned about having the "external pots line UNHOOKED". Can or will Verizon do this for me?

This would be risky no matter.

If you have another twisted pair lurking behind your jacks, and most modern dwellings have those extra pairs, hook up an RJ-11 jack to a spare pair in the locations where you want them, and use that pair for connectivity. That way you don't risk zapping your adapter.

usa2k
01-27-2009, 09:11 PM
If you had switched pairs while you had dial tone ... you could have made the DSL pair the line 2 ... you would just have needed a L1/L2 jack for your DSL connection to be on L2 and then phones without adapters(or filters) on L1. (There I go thinking ...)