PDA

View Full Version : Simultaneous Ring Feature (Alpha)

Vumes
01-22-2009, 08:58 PM
I wanted to report my findings on the Simultaneous Ring feature. I looked around but didn't seem to find the thread. Maybe it got moved to the Alpha forum? Don't have access so I don't know, plus if it is anywhere else... I just had cataract surgery yesterday so I could just be "blind". :rolleyes: Anyhow...

When having multiple numbers to Simultaneous Ring into, it only rings on the phone connected to the ATA, and to one other. I put in my cell number, and my wife's and it would only ring on hers until I deactivated hers, then it would ring on mine. Its one or the other, but it won't do both together.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

NY Tel Guy
01-22-2009, 11:31 PM
I wanted to report my findings on the Simultaneous Ring feature. I looked around but didn't seem to find the thread. Maybe it got moved to the Alpha forum? Don't have access so I don't know, plus if it is anywhere else... I just had cataract surgery yesterday so I could just be "blind". :rolleyes: Anyhow...

When having multiple numbers to Simultaneous Ring into, it only rings on the phone connected to the ATA, and to one other. I put in my cell number, and my wife's and it would only ring on hers until I deactivated hers, then it would ring on mine. Its one or the other, but it won't do both together.

Is anyone else experiencing this?Yes I experienced the same. It rang my voipo line and my cell but when I added in my POTS line, it only rang the voipo line and the cell.

VOIPoBrandon
01-23-2009, 05:39 AM
Could you guys go ahead and give it another round of tests, it should be sorted now. Looks like the last round of bug fixes, caused some problems with this feature. Thanks!

VOIPoBrandon
01-23-2009, 11:25 AM
Also, guys as an update for simul ring, we are running into some slight issues, since the last upgrade so if you could hold on those tests until otherwise updated, I'll let you guys know shortly!

Thanks!

Vumes
01-24-2009, 01:22 AM
I understand that you're still dealing with some issues, but just as a heads up, I started from scratch and added a number, I then went to add another number and it wouldn't let me and I got this message: "You are only allowed to have three simultaneous destinations"

But I only had 1 in there and tried to add one more... :confused:

VOIPoBrandon
01-24-2009, 06:09 AM
I understand that you're still dealing with some issues, but just as a heads up, I started from scratch and added a number, I then went to add another number and it wouldn't let me and I got this message: "You are only allowed to have three simultaneous destinations"

But I only had 1 in there and tried to add one more... :confused:

Sorry for the incorrect information when trying to create a new phone number, that is actually part of the issue that is being created, when simultaneous ring destinations are > 1 location besides ATA Device, so earlier we went ahead and updated it so you can only add one location to call, however apparently forgot to update the response when you do, add more than one.

We will have an update on this today, so stay tuned!

Thanks!

rx100
01-24-2009, 06:34 PM
Brandon,
I think this issue was there even before the latest upgrade. Pls. see the last posting this following thread. http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?t=1021&page=2

Vumes
01-24-2009, 07:46 PM
Sorry for the incorrect information when trying to create a new phone number, that is actually part of the issue that is being created, when simultaneous ring destinations are > 1 location besides ATA Device, so earlier we went ahead and updated it so you can only add one location to call, however apparently forgot to update the response when you do, add more than one.

We will have an update on this today, so stay tuned!

Thanks!

Brandon,

Will this always be in effect, or will we eventually be able to have multiple numbers for the simultaneous ring feature?

Brian
01-28-2009, 08:30 PM
Brandon,

Will this always be in effect, or will we eventually be able to have multiple numbers for the simultaneous ring feature?

I'm interested in this too.

VOIPoTim
01-28-2009, 08:42 PM
It will eventually, yeah. The plan is to allow 3.

Xponder1
01-28-2009, 09:16 PM
3 sounds like a good number to me...

Xponder1
02-03-2009, 11:08 PM
http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?t=1111

VOIPoTim
02-04-2009, 12:27 AM
Keep posting bugs. We'll work out way back to the alpha/beta features and addressing the bugs you guys find. Right now our focus is mainly on the registration issue and stabilizing things so they're back to normal in spite of the recent growth.

Things will calm down soon and we'll get back to these.

usa2k
02-04-2009, 06:34 AM
3 sounds like a good number to me...
More than 3 in a list, but only 3 enabled sounds good to me.
Including/excluding the VOIPo number also ...

Vumes
04-22-2009, 09:04 AM
I attempted to add another number to my Simul Ring feature and still got this:

You are only allowed to have one simultaneous destination

Do we know a time frame on when this will get off the backburner?

Xponder1
04-22-2009, 12:54 PM
I attempted to add another number to my Simul Ring feature and still got this:

Do we know a time frame on when this will get off the back burner?

I noticed that too. Three would be really cool.

Xponder1
05-04-2009, 10:47 PM
It will eventually, yeah. The plan is to allow 3.

Currently this is set to 1 are there still plans in place to set it to 3?

VOIPoBrandon
05-05-2009, 07:46 AM
Currently this is set to 1 are there still plans in place to set it to 3?
Don't quote me on this, however we should be addressing some of these back burner projects in very near future -- perhaps Tim can shed some more light on this, thanks for your continued patience guys!
________
Chevrolet 150 Specifications (http://www.chevy-wiki.com/wiki/Chevrolet_150)

Xponder1
06-12-2009, 04:50 PM
Why is this still alpha? It works perfect. :p

VOIPoBrandon
06-12-2009, 04:52 PM
Why is this still alpha? It works perfect. :p

We're still ironing a few things out! :) I'm glad to hear things are working well for you.

fisamo
06-13-2009, 04:48 AM
Another former-CallVantage-customer request: (though I'm not quite 'former' yet) ;D

Please allow SimulRing to ring to more than one number--three would be a minimum, though 5 would certainly be a good number, too.

The other big request I have is to add a 'Confirm Calls' feature as a OPTION to SimulRing. If Confirm Calls is enabled, the simulring feature would ring all of the destination targets, and when any such line is picked up, it would require that the answering party press 1 in order to receive the call. This feature would allow a cellphone on the simulring list to be left off without diverting all incoming calls to the cell phone's voicemail.

I do understand that other users have expressed opposition to a mandatory 'Press 1' to receive simulring calls... That's why I would ask that it be a checkbox option (that you can even default at 'off').

caseydoug
06-13-2009, 08:42 AM
This feature would allow a cellphone on the simulring list to be left off without diverting all incoming calls to the cell phone's voicemail.

As currently implemented, does the Simul Ring feature divert all incoming calls to voicemail when the added phone is a cell phone and it is turned off?

caseydoug
06-13-2009, 11:31 AM
Answering my own question, I set up a cell phone number for simul ring, then turned the cell phone off. When I called in (from a different cell phone), the call did NOT go to voicemail; it rang my house phones. That's the good news. However, I did get some odd behavior. One time the called phone kept ringing long after the calling phone had connected to voicemail. Since the two phones were close together, I ended up recording the ringing phone on my voicemail. Another time, I tried to answer the phone, but I couldn't connect, and what I think was the cloned line kept ringing and ringing. I could stop the ringing only by "answering" all the extensions in the house (they didn't connect), and then waiting about five minutes before "ending" the call.

Some of this may be due to quirks in my two-line phone system. But if you use simul ring with a cell phone, I would suggest leaving the cell phone on.

I should also mention that I tried setting up simul ring with my Google Voice number, which in turn was configured to ring two cell phones. This actually worked reasonably well, even with one of the cell phones turned off. However, since GV does not let you adjust the number of rings before a call goes to GV voicemail, I was not able to force an unanswered call to go to VOIPo voicemail except by shortening the number of rings on the VOIPo side, which caused VOIPo voicemail to answer sooner than I wanted it to. I might be able to fix this by enabling call presentation or screening in GV, which would require pressing a key to accept the call (similar to "Confirm Call" suggested by fisamo), but I haven't tried it yet. My wife is getting annoyed by all the ringing. :)

fisamo
06-13-2009, 11:50 AM
Regarding inbound calls dumping into cell phone's voicemail when simulring is enabled... Generally, when someone calls my mobile phone and it's off, VZW immediately forwards the call to my VZW voicemail. I don't want that behavior to change. However, if I have simulring on and I drive out of coverage area or my phone's battery dies, I worry that as soon as VZW voicemail picks up, the inbound caller will end up leaving me messages there, and my home phone won't ring (or at least, it won't ring for long). I haven't tested the behavior with Voipo lately; that's just been my experience with other providers in the past.

caseydoug
06-13-2009, 12:03 PM
Yes, that was similar to my experience with VZW and Lingo, which also had simul ring. I didn't use VZW voicemail but had my unanswered calls forward to my Lingo line, where they would go to Lingo voicemail if I didn't pick up. If I turned the cell phone off, the calls would not ring my Lingo phone but would go straight to voicemail. So I left my cell phone on (going out of range was not a problem, since by definition I wasn't at home to get the call on the Lingo phone).

I think the behavior on VOIPo is different. Try it.

fisamo
06-14-2009, 11:05 AM
OK, so you ask me to try it, and I did (yesterday). Here's what happened:
Upon dialing my voipo number, my Voipo line started ringing, and I heard one ringback tone on the calling line. The voipo line would continue to ring, but there would be no more ringback tones. After about 5 rings, the voipo line would stop ringing. Instead of transferring to voicemail, though, the process would start over--I'd hear one ringback tone and get 5 rings on the voipo line. I don't know if there some some kind of feature clash, because my cell phone is also my failover number...

However, when I ran the same test today, I got normal ringing behavior on the Voipo line, and my call properly transferred to voicemail after 5 rings. So, I turned the cell phone back on and redialed. I heard normal ringback, and both lines rang. But when I answered the cellphone, the voipo line kept ringing, and the cell connection immediately dropped. I'm going to try a few more things, and if this keeps up, I'll submit a ticket...

Edit ... Going to submit a ticket now. I tried using a non-cell (another Voip) number, and when the simulring target # answered, the call dropped there, too.

caseydoug
06-14-2009, 11:31 AM
Yeah, I had a similar experience (see my thread below). Check your call logs for the time of the call, and I'll bet you see a whole bunch of calls at the same time between those two phones. In my case, I think it's related to the fact that the "Ring to" cell phone forwards back to the VOIPo phone if it is not answered. Simul Ring is still "alpha" after all.

burris
06-14-2009, 11:44 AM
I suppose I should join as well.

Up until a few days ago, the Simul Ring always worked fine and I could answer from my cell when I was out and about.
The last 2 calls, and I didn''t get many over the weekend as we were away for 2 days, had the same experience as fisamo...I answered and the cell disconnected. My answer machine did pick up the calls at the house.
My machine doesn't answer until after 4 rings and I answered my cell long before that.

The last call that I answered on my cell when it disconnected was at 10am today. It did leave a CID on the cell. However...at 1:02pm yesterday, I was able to successfully answer a Simul Ring call from my cell.

Since it has worked well for me for quite a while, I suspect some sort of glitch or maybe they did some programming change..

fisamo
06-14-2009, 02:04 PM
Going back to Brandon's note a few days ago indicating 'ironing things out' I suspect a few programming changes. That's not to say that Voipo has bad programmers, just that code doesn't always work as expected the first time. Right, Bill (Gates)? ;)

I'll let everyone know what happens with my ticket. I don't see this as an urgent issue, just want to be sure they're aware of it.

fisamo
06-18-2009, 06:59 AM
Update:

I just did the two simple simulring tests that I had wanted confirmation on. With simulring set for my cell phone, I dialed my voipo number (not from the cell phone, of course), and my cell phone rang. Answering the cell phone, the call was connected properly.

I then turned the cell phone off and repeated the test. As I expected, my cell phone's VM picked up immediately.

Final test--I dialed my voipo line from my cell phone, and it rang a few times before I disconnected the call. (If it had routed the call to my cell phone, my cell phone VM would have picked up immediately.)

I don't know what, if anything, was changed with the simul ring feature since I reported the issue, but it seems to be working properly now. As I said in my latest ticket update, I'd like to test a little more this afternoon before closing the ticket out, though.

caseydoug
06-18-2009, 10:07 AM
Then maybe I should try the simulring test that I was asking about recently: I would do the same thing, except set my cell phone for no-answer transfer back to my VOIPo line, so that the call will go to VOIPo voicemail instead of my cell phone voicemail.

In your third test, it looks like VOIPo recognizes the cell phone number as a simulring number, and therefore does not simulring to it. In my case, the CID would probably show the original calling number rather than the cell phone number, even though the cell phone is forwarding the call. In that case, VOIPo will probably NOT recognize the number as a simulring number, and will therefore ring the cell phone, which will forward it back to VOIPo, which will ring the cell phone, etc.

I don't know how difficult it is to get VOIPo to recognize that the forwarding phone is a simulring number, but it would be a very convenient feature for me. I prefer having all of my voicemail in one place.

fisamo
06-18-2009, 10:14 AM
If Voipo did the 'confirm calls' feature, then all of your voicemail would end up in your Voipo voicemail box. If your cell phone's voicemail picked up the call, it would not be able to "press 1" so it would never receive the call. Once the voipo line recorded 4 or 5 rings (whichever your vmail is set for), voipo VM would take the call. This behavior is exactly how the (soon-to-be-defunct) CallVantage "Locate Me" feature works, and I'd like to retain this capability.

caseydoug
06-18-2009, 10:39 AM
I don't like the "confirm calls" feature, although I have no problem with having it as an option. Lingo was able to route calls to Lingo voicemail even when simulring went to the cell phone and the cell phone forwarded back to Lingo. I don't know how they did it, but it worked. Lingo did have the disadvantage, however, that calls would go straight to Lingo voicemail when the cell phone was turned off (so I kept it on).

fisamo
06-18-2009, 10:53 AM
Admittedly, as much as I whine for the feature, I completely understand that many people do NOT want to have to press 1 to take a call. I also have to admit that I am using my line with Asterisk and will continue to do so. As such, I should be able to program in simulring (with additional outbound trunks if necessary) to work exactly the way I want it to. :)

Vumes
08-03-2009, 04:55 PM
So...... Any news on the front about this? By that I mean how about multiple numbers for Simul Ring?

Vumes
08-19-2009, 06:34 PM
Anyone? Bueller... Bueller?

usa2k
08-20-2009, 06:09 AM
Anyone? Bueller... Bueller? :)

A day off is what VOIPo staff could use I bet!

voipoh
08-21-2009, 12:59 AM
Check vPanel Beta

VOIPoTim
08-21-2009, 06:43 AM
Admittedly, as much as I whine for the feature, I completely understand that many people do NOT want to have to press 1 to take a call. I also have to admit that I am using my line with Asterisk and will continue to do so. As such, I should be able to program in simulring (with additional outbound trunks if necessary) to work exactly the way I want it to. :)

The biggest challenge with doing a "Press 1" scenario is that we'd basically have to handle the audio for all those calls so it was stateful and we could detect the 1.

With our system we don't handle audio 90% of the time and just hand off calls.

Handling audio would be a big increase in load and the quality would be different (could be better or worse) on incoming calls when compared to normal non-simring calls.

VOIPoTim
08-21-2009, 06:43 AM
So...... Any news on the front about this? By that I mean how about multiple numbers for Simul Ring?

We've increased it to 2 destinations now.

fisamo
08-21-2009, 10:13 AM
The biggest challenge with doing a "Press 1" scenario is that we'd basically have to handle the audio for all those calls so it was stateful and we could detect the 1.

With our system we don't handle audio 90% of the time and just hand off calls.

Handling audio would be a big increase in load and the quality would be different (could be better or worse) on incoming calls when compared to normal non-simring calls.

That's a great point--I obviously hadn't considered that. Is it possible to do a REINVITE after the user presses 1 (to offload the audio once the call is accepted)?

It's pretty easy for me to say something like 'I do this all the time on my Asterisk system...' (which is true). But I do recognize that my Asterisk system handles essentially one production-level 'phone line' (plus my hobby stuff) for one family--quite a difference from a real-world provider situation!

Xponder1
08-21-2009, 02:40 PM
We've increased it to 2 destinations now.

I had two destinations in mine and it worked fine last night. All morning however the ATA could not receive a call and was having problems reconnecting. Removing the second simul ring number per support fixed it. Odd huh?

I would like a trace put on my line and to set it to two numbers again so you you all can see what its problem is. Let me know.Ticket ID: LMM-542819

Vumes
08-27-2009, 06:05 PM
I have that problem too. My set up consists of the following:

Main Voipo line and 2 cell phones as simul ring numbers.
When I call the number, it will ring on all lines, but it can only be answered on the cell phones. When I answer from the regular phone that is hooked into the Voipo box, all I get is dead air on both ends. Let me know what your ticket turns up. I am curious and think I have the same problem.

Xponder1
08-27-2009, 07:15 PM
I have that problem too. My set up consists of the following:

Main Voipo line and 2 cell phones as simul ring numbers.
When I call the number, it will ring on all lines, but it can only be answered on the cell phones. When I answer from the regular phone that is hooked into the Voipo box, all I get is dead air on both ends. Let me know what your ticket turns up. I am curious and think I have the same problem.

Support sent me a message saying they are aware of this exact problem. Until they fix it you need to keep simul ring to 1 number. Nothing is wrong with this beta ATA I am using it was just the two numbers in simul ring.