PDA

View Full Version : iPhone App?

ferdowsi
05-19-2009, 09:06 PM
Has anyone tried or liked any SIP application for the iPhone? I found one called, 'SipPhone on iPhone' v-1.1.11, released April 22nd.

ptrowski
05-20-2009, 06:11 AM
I tried Fring, it seemed to work well via wifi. I jailbroke my phone and used voipover3g to get it to call on the 3g network and while it technically worked, the quality was poor.

Xponder1
05-20-2009, 08:50 AM
I tried Fring, it seemed to work well via wifi. I jailbroke my phone and used voipover3g to get it to call on the 3g network and while it technically worked, the quality was poor.

3G could get expensive really quick.

redshift
09-03-2009, 08:46 AM
Tried Skype over 3G and it only used about 1 meg/min, so with a decent data plan VOIP over 3G wouldn't be too expensive.

Aviator3
09-19-2009, 01:22 PM
I've used a couple of SIP clients on the iPhone, iSIP (formerly SipPhone) and Siphon, available via Cydia for jailbroken iPhones. I also use 3GUnrestrictor, so I can do VoiP over the 3G network. With the iPhone, I have an unlimited data plan, so I don't worry about the minutes, but I'm usually on wi-fi when I use it anyway. On 3G, quality is inconsistent, and varies from time to time, and place to place. Usually, I'll do a bandwidth check first to ensure that I have adequate bandwith before using the #G network for VoIP.

Fring was the first VoIP client I tried on the iPhone. Although it worked well (I used it on a trip to France to call back home) it has one major drawback. No access to the keypad in a call, so you can't access voicemail. Also, like Siphon, you can only configure for a single SIP account. Since I have several SIP accounts, iSIP is ideal for my needs.

gatorrobin
12-06-2009, 01:59 AM
I've used Fring on Windows Mobile on my Treo Pro (Sprint) and calls sound pretty good, a bit hollow but definitely usable.

mdntblu
04-25-2010, 09:46 AM
Fring works best for iPhone. It works with SIP on Voipo and Skype and Cellular.
Works on WiFi and 3G.

VOIPoJustin
04-26-2010, 01:02 PM
Acrobit's Version (generically named 'Softphone') seems pretty well made for the iPhone.

holmes4
04-26-2010, 04:50 PM
I have Siphon and it seems to work ok for me - haven't done much with it yet. And it's free.