PDA

View Full Version : Hardcoding IPs

VOIPoTim
07-19-2009, 06:07 PM
Hey Guys,

Please do not point your ATAs to IPs. Use hostnames. When we add additional nodes or upgrade older ones, sometimes the IPs do change.

We have a few people (around 10) that seem to be pointed to IPs for nodes that we upgraded last week where some of the older servers in the node are going offline tonight since DNS was updated a long time ago and they're still pointed there.

We don't want anyone to experience a service interruption and by using hostnames, you can be sure that you'll not be affected as we make changes and manage traffic on our network.

burris
07-19-2009, 07:51 PM
I'm one of the guilty ones..

Sorry..It's been set that way for so long, I forgot about it..I changed it..

chpalmer
07-19-2009, 09:53 PM
by using hostnames, you can be sure that you'll not be affected as we make changes and manage traffic on our network.

Any services that you know of that use round robin style dns for load management?

Ive noticed a few new servers on my firewall logs... :D

I began to use a byod setup today for a test of an ata and was surprised to be pointed at sip. instead of one of the new ones that seemed to be named for that purpose.. :)

tritch
07-20-2009, 10:13 AM
Hey Guys,

Please do not point your ATAs to IPs. Use hostnames.

Tim, are you planning on keeping the old hostnames for now or will they be removed in the near future?

Your new hostnames seem to have "sip-" prefixed to them:

old hostname: central01.voipwelcome.com
new hostname: sip-central01.voipwelcome.com

I'm still pointing to the old hostname, but it can be changed easy enough if needed.....Thanks

burris
07-20-2009, 11:27 AM
Tim, are you planning on keeping the old hostnames for now or will they be removed in the near future?

Your new hostnames seem to have "sip-" prefixed to them:

old hostname: central01.voipwelcome.com
new hostname: sip-central01.voipwelcome.com

I'm still pointing to the old hostname, but it can be changed easy enough if needed.....Thanks

Good Question..

Would also be informative to know what difference this makes to them..if any..

burris
07-20-2009, 05:55 PM
I'm hoping Tim will respond shortly, as changing from the discrete IP to central01.voipwelcome.com yesterday at about 9:30 pm is causing me problems. That's why I asked about the sip prefix and its purpose..I have been on central all this time..

Prior to this change, I had clear sailing.

Some of the problems are people calling and getting dead air...calling out requiring many tries due to a faulty connection and disconnects.

burris

edit: I just noticed the following in the VPanel..

You are currently connected to: sip-central01.voipwelcome.com

Is it necessary to insert the sip prefix in the ATA..?

scott2020
07-20-2009, 06:00 PM
I ended up having to switch to West because I am going to a different IP address for east and central since the upgrades, and the routes taken to those machines are bad for me. I now have several more hops and higher latency than I did before. A lot of the traffic is going across rr.com which I believe is the Road Runner (if it is still called that) network. I see high latency through those routes during the "busy" times of the day. I was at my in-laws and their traffic from Centurytel to east and central went via Level3 mostly, and it was good. Guess that's the Internet for you.

Of course it doesn't mean much for audio quality if your audio gets handed off to another media gateway anyway!

VOIPoTim
07-20-2009, 06:31 PM
BYOD Hostname: sip.voipwelcome.com.

Other Hostnames (for those grandfathered in):

sip-central01.voipwelcome.com
sip-east01.voipwelcome.com
west01.voipwelcome.com

These are the only ones officially used now, but all older ones were re-pointed in case someone had them hardcoded, but DNS may be cached.

Provisioned users were all automatically moved around and updated as needed.

We can try to be more proactive with announcements for grandfathered BYOD users in the future.

VOIPoTim
07-20-2009, 06:35 PM
I ended up having to switch to West because I am going to a different IP address for east and central since the upgrades, and the routes taken to those machines are bad for me. I now have several more hops and higher latency than I did before. A lot of the traffic is going across rr.com which I believe is the Road Runner (if it is still called that) network. I see high latency through those routes during the "busy" times of the day. I was at my in-laws and their traffic from Centurytel to east and central went via Level3 mostly, and it was good. Guess that's the Internet for you.

Of course it doesn't mean much for audio quality if your audio gets handed off to another media gateway anyway!

The newest servers are right beside the old ones. We have seen Softlayer routing more traffic over Time Warner recently since they added a Time Warner peer just recently.

We were told that they have routed a ton of traffic through it for "testing" and it'll be balanced out more this week and most people won't hit it unless using Time Warner.

They did the official streaming for the Michael Jackson memorial and I believe they had to add this in prematurely to help handle the traffic an don't think it was handled in the best way. There were a day when all our traces from Houston to Dallas were going through Time Warner Los Angeles and back which is interesting since that's where the memorial was.

In any event, we're continuing to monitor routing.

dswartz
07-21-2009, 05:59 PM
Hmmm, just noticed I am going to sip-east01 that way too. Several RR hops in NYC...

tritch
08-31-2009, 04:30 PM
BYOD Hostname: sip.voipwelcome.com.

Just FYI to those who use the BYOD server for their softphone/BYOD use.....

A trace route to this server reveals a new hostname:
sip-byod.voipwelcome.com

The old hostname still works for now, but not sure for how much longer.