PDA

View Full Version : Custom Caller ID (from another phone)

varaonaid
09-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Hello,

I'm not sure if this is possible, I'm fairly sure it isn't at the moment. But I'd love to be able to set the Voipo caller id to a different number that I own. I've started using Google Voice to send calls to all my phones, get txts and be able to get my voicemail transcribed and sent to me. I won't even think of leaving Voipo because it's my primary phone and we LOVE the service and the features you continue to add. It would just be cool if I could set the outgoing caller id to by Google Voice number so that people would have it on their caller id and would be less confusing. As I said, I doubt that it's possible to do but just wondered if it might be an option in the future.

Thanks in advance!
Rachel

VOIPoBrandon
09-01-2009, 09:49 AM
Rachel,

We recently added a feature where you can do just this. Simply go into your VPanel -> Beta -> Mobile. Add your Google Voice number, then "Verify it". We will send you a call and ask you to enter in your PIN. Then after this go into VPanel -> Beta -> Caller-ID and set this new verified number as your outgoing Caller-ID.

Let me know if you need any further assistance, thanks!
________
Iolite (http://vaporizer.org/portable)

Brian
09-01-2009, 10:32 AM
Hey Brandon, I noticed that the outbound ID worked fine for me when going off-network, but still displayed my VOIPo number when calling another VOIPo number the other day. Was this a bug, or was I just not patient enough?

VOIPoBrandon
09-01-2009, 01:56 PM
Hey Brandon, I noticed that the outbound ID worked fine for me when going off-network, but still displayed my VOIPo number when calling another VOIPo number the other day. Was this a bug, or was I just not patient enough?

Brian,

It may be -- I will be looking into this shortly, thanks for the info.

varaonaid
09-01-2009, 02:33 PM
This is fantastic...I'm really excited about. Kudos to Voipo for such an innovative feature set.

Now, one quick issue. I'm having problems with the verification. Verified the first phone fine but kept getting silence when I tried to add a second phone number. Thinking it might just not allow 2 numbers I deleted both and started over with one number. Still wouldn't verify the number (when the call would come through, it would still be silence). So, I went back and tried adding the single first number which had verified once correctly. Now, the call comes through and immediately hangs up after 1-2 seconds. Tried it numerous times.

If there's something I'm doing wrong, please let me know. If it's a bug, that would be great to know as well.

Thanks again!

txcas
09-01-2009, 03:03 PM
This is fantastic...I'm really excited about. Kudos to Voipo for such an innovative feature set.

Now, one quick issue. I'm having problems with the verification. Verified the first phone fine but kept getting silence when I tried to add a second phone number. Thinking it might just not allow 2 numbers I deleted both and started over with one number. Still wouldn't verify the number (when the call would come through, it would still be silence). So, I went back and tried adding the single first number which had verified once correctly. Now, the call comes through and immediately hangs up after 1-2 seconds. Tried it numerous times.

If there's something I'm doing wrong, please let me know. If it's a bug, that would be great to know as well.

Thanks again!

I am having the same problem. I opened a support ticket on this.

VOIPoTim
09-01-2009, 03:03 PM

Thanks again!

Yeah it's a beta feature so will have some bugs.

Can you try it again now?

bwyatt
09-01-2009, 03:04 PM
It's a bug.

Just tried to set mine up with my google voice number after reading this thread, but never got a verification call even though I clicked the "Please click here if you do not recieve a phone call momentarily" several times.

Support confirms:

since this is a beta feature there are still some bugs within the system. What I can do is generate a support ticket to have one of our developers further investigate your issue.

VOIPoTim
09-01-2009, 03:07 PM
Go ahead and try it now. I think it was just being changed at the time.

bwyatt
09-01-2009, 03:08 PM
I apologize Tim. Your post above mine wasn't there when I posted my response.

Didn't mean to be redundant.

txcas
09-01-2009, 03:12 PM
I tried again. I get the verification call, but no prompts to enter verification number. Only crickets on the other end.

bwyatt
09-01-2009, 03:16 PM
Ok, just tried again and it's working for me now. Got the return call and verified the number with no issues.

txcas
09-01-2009, 03:22 PM
I rebooted the ATA and tried again. No luck, I get no prompts.

ETA: I tried a few more times and it eventually worked. During one of the calls while I was typing the verification code, I heard a message indicating call recording on or off.

bwarden
09-01-2009, 03:29 PM
I had an interesting issue trying to enable this with my Google Voice number.

First, I had to disable call presentation so the call would go through -- I added the calling number to my Google contacts and created a special group for automated calling systems. I changed my group settings to disable call presentation for those callers. Now I get the verification calls.

Now I have a different problem. Most of my attempts have generated a PIN containing the number 4. GV intercepts DTMF on incoming calls, particularly using 4 to begin recording the call, so the nice Voipo lady tells me the PIN is invalid. I tried several times until I got a PIN with no 4 (122182), but in that case, it seemed as if GV didn't pass any DTMF, as I just received the initial prompt every few seconds.

Looks like GV needs a way to pass-through DTMF on certain incoming calls.

txcas
09-01-2009, 03:39 PM
Yes my PIN also started with 4 and I could heard the GV message in the background indicating that recording started or recording stopped. Another thing that I just found is that this only works on the primary line and not on the "upgraded" secondary line. The caller-ID option is not under Beta on the second line. That is where I wanted to use my GV caller ID. :(

varaonaid
09-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Thanks Tim. Retried and had no problems with either my cell or Google Voice numbers. The calls, prompts, and verification with through flawlessly. Great service!

(PS For those with Google Voice, I currently have call presentation disabled entirely. You could always temporarily disable and then re-enable it if you didn't want to create an automated callers group as the PP did.)

VOIPoBrandon
09-01-2009, 03:58 PM
For those of you who want to set your Caller-ID on the second line, you may now do so, thanks!

burris
09-01-2009, 04:08 PM
For those of you who want to set your Caller-ID on the second line, you may now do so, thanks!

You guys are too much. I don't think I've ever experienced the kind of response and service that we get from you.

Thanks....

burris

VOIPoBrandon
09-01-2009, 04:09 PM
Also those ugly 4's are now gone!

Any other numbers we should be wary of with Google Voice, just for my general knowledge? I've never actually used / looked at it.

caseydoug
09-01-2009, 04:25 PM
Google Voice is odd. I use it with a particular ATA, and it rings in through Sip Sorcery. I find I'm forever changing the DTMF method on the ATA because what works with GV does not work on everything else, and vice versa. In this particular case, I was able to verify GV on the second try -- perhaps because that number had no 4's.

I have a related issue I raised in a different thread. Once we verify a number, it will be listed under either the primary or secondary line. If we call VOIPo Connect from that verified number, we can control the line under which the number is listed. But we can't use that verified number to control the other line because the number automically authenticates to the line under which it is listed. If the number were not verified at all, we would be able to control either line.

My question: is there a way to turn the automatic authentication off temporarily so that we can use that phone to control the other line? Would that be difficult to implement?

I'm thinking the first prompt from VOIPo connect could say "press * to access your primary VOIPo line; press ** to access a different line." A "different" line would require that we fully authenticate with number and password. Possible?

VOIPoBrandon
09-01-2009, 04:47 PM
Casey,

You may now toggle the auto-login capability.

caseydoug
09-01-2009, 04:56 PM
You're amazing!

Sorry for diverting the thread . . .

Thanks, so much.

caseydoug
09-01-2009, 05:05 PM
Um . . . how does it work? The outgoing message is the same: "Please enter your destination number; current VOIPo customers may press * for more options." I pressed * and got the ability to place an outbound call or enter a configuration code, but so far as I could tell, no way to turn off auto-login.

Doug

txcas
09-01-2009, 05:10 PM

Thank you very much, you guys rock!

VOIPoBrandon
09-01-2009, 05:39 PM
Um . . . how does it work? The outgoing message is the same: "Please enter your destination number; current VOIPo customers may press * for more options." I pressed * and got the ability to place an outbound call or enter a configuration code, but so far as I could tell, no way to turn off auto-login.

Doug

Casey,

Double check that the auto login is disabled -- due to the current previous behavior of default "enabled" we have by default left them enabled to not disrupt other clients use.

You will press * as normal and it should ask you for your VOIPo client username + password.
________
Fisting movie (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/20/fisting/videos/1)

bwyatt
09-01-2009, 05:47 PM
You guys are too much. I don't think I've ever experienced the kind of response and service that we get from you.

Thanks....

burris

I wanted to second this comment. The response is amazing and incredible. VERY IMPRESSIVE!

caseydoug
09-01-2009, 05:52 PM
Casey,

Double check that the auto login is disabled -- due to the current previous behavior of default "enabled" we have by default left them enabled to not disrupt other clients use.

You will press * as normal and it should ask you for your VOIPo client username + password.Brandon,

Auto login is still enabled for me.

Were you changing just mine? That works for me so long as it doesn't take away the other features of a verified number (e.g., caller ID selection). What I was suggesting, however, was some way to disable it upon calling in -- i.e., so that it would be enabled unless the caller chooses to disable it. Others might want that behavior as well, rather than having to put in a ticket or make a special request.

bwyatt
09-01-2009, 05:54 PM

Any other numbers we should be wary of with Google Voice, just for my general knowledge? I've never actually used / looked at it.

I'm seriously looking at my google voice account and considering it's purpose given the many options and alternatives available and being created with my Voipo account.

I'll post my findings after a think through it all.

On the surface, I can only suggest that with the development of this product the features of google voice are mostly duplicated here and google still requires you to have a terminating phone number to send it to.

The advantage of google voice would be to someone with a traditional line who wants the bells and whistles of a Voipo account. Get the Voipo account and you don't need the google voice or the traditional line.

VOIPoBrandon
09-01-2009, 05:55 PM
Brandon,

Auto login is still enabled for me.

Were you changing just mine? That works for me so long as it doesn't take away the other features of a verified number (e.g., caller ID selection). What I was suggesting, however, was some way to disable it upon calling in -- i.e., so that it would be enabled unless the caller chooses to disable it. Others might want that behavior as well, rather than having to put in a ticket or make a special request.

We do have plans to eventually make an alternative login method while calling in, however currently refer to your VPanel:

Beta -> Mobile

There will be a new toggle there that will allow you to enable or disable auto login for your specific call in numbers.
________
Ford germany history (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Germany)

varaonaid
09-01-2009, 06:40 PM
I'm seriously looking at my google voice account and considering it's purpose given the many options and alternatives available and being created with my Voipo account.

I'll post my findings after a think through it all.

On the surface, I can only suggest that with the development of this product the features of google voice are mostly duplicated here and google still requires you to have a terminating phone number to send it to.

The advantage of google voice would be to someone with a traditional line who wants the bells and whistles of a Voipo account. Get the Voipo account and you don't need the google voice or the traditional line.

Agreed, but the voicemail transcription (however flawed it occasionally is) still gives an advantage to using it, at least for me. I love being able to just check my txts to see what the VM said. Having said that, most of the other features are duplicated. If it hadn't been for transcribing feature, I probably wouldn't be using it. I'll be interested in reading your thoughts on it when you post them later. :)

caseydoug
09-01-2009, 06:58 PM
We do have plans to eventually make an alternative login method while calling in, however currently refer to your VPanel:

Beta -> Mobile

There will be a new toggle there that will allow you to enable or disable auto login for your specific call in numbers.

Got it! Thanks, Brandon. This is very helpful.

Brian
09-01-2009, 07:40 PM

FWIW, if you sign up for an invite on their site, you should have within a week or two - I know 4 or 5 people that have gotten theirs in that timeframe recently. It may be worth grabbing an account just to see what it is and can do, if for nothing else than getting some new feature ideas for VOIPo ;)

bwarden
09-02-2009, 10:19 AM

That fixed my problem, thanks.

VOIPoBrandon
09-02-2009, 01:03 PM
FWIW, if you sign up for an invite on their site, you should have within a week or two - I know 4 or 5 people that have gotten theirs in that timeframe recently. It may be worth grabbing an account just to see what it is and can do, if for nothing else than getting some new feature ideas for VOIPo ;)
I will definitely have to check it out eventually.

That fixed my problem, thanks.
Great, glad to hear you are now able to verify the number!
________
Marijuana seed (http://marijuanaseeds.org/)

gls101
09-02-2009, 10:49 PM

I'll be using Google Voice for primarily one purpose - I'm trying to duplicate AT&T CallVantage's 'Locate Me', which is basically Simul Ring with the added ability to require pressing '1' to accept the forwarded call. For various reasons I can't turn off voicemail on my cell phone, which means if I'm out of range or the phone's turned off, the call routes immediately to voice mail. When that happens, no-one else has an opportunity to answer the call. Hence, the importance of pressing '1' to answer the call. It works great on ATTCV, but Voipo can't do it (yet) to my knowledge.

In-call transfer also looks to be a feature I'll be using on occasion.

I just got the PAP2T in the mail this afternoon, so I'll be madly trying various things with ATTCV/Voipo in the next few days to see what what works and what doesn't. Wish me luck :).

Gary

varaonaid
09-02-2009, 11:16 PM
One other feature that might interest folks is the ability to schedule when certain phones ring through (work phone on weekdays, cell always, etc.).

txcas
09-03-2009, 07:12 AM
One other feature that might interest folks is the ability to schedule when certain phones ring through (work phone on weekdays, cell always, etc.).

Exactly, Voipo does not have yet DND on a schedule. That was my first feature request when I became a customer. I am having to use Google Voice for that.

caseydoug
09-03-2009, 01:32 PM
Exactly, Voipo does not have yet DND on a schedule. That was my first feature request when I became a customer. I am having to use Google Voice for that.

You should be able to do this using the VOIPo API and Windows Task Scheduler. I'm sure there are more elegant ways to do it, and I agree that such a feature would be nice, since it would not require your computer to be running for the schedule to work. But using VOIPo through Google Voice has its own issues.

voipouser
02-15-2010, 01:25 AM
It would be great if this feature could be used without having to first set the Calling Number ID via the web. For example, if a user had 2 additional numbers previously verified, dialing a prefix would allow you to place the call and deliver a different Calling Number ID on a per call basis.

For advanced/BYOD users this could be done fairly easily, and is similar to using a PAYG providers for outbound calling.

Of course, I'd expect with both Voipo-provisioned devices or BYOD, there's a considerable development and configuration management effort required by Voipo to make this happen.

lost_
02-21-2010, 08:26 PM
Being able to use star code to change outgoing caller ID would be nice -- http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?t=1944

Brian
03-22-2010, 07:59 PM
Brian,

It may be -- I will be looking into this shortly, thanks for the info.

Hey Brandon - did you ever get a chance to take a look at this? I tested again yesterday, and still had the same result - off network worked great, calling another VOIPo number displayed the original ID. Thanks.

Brian
04-10-2010, 12:22 PM
Hey Brandon - did you ever get a chance to take a look at this? I tested again yesterday, and still had the same result - off network worked great, calling another VOIPo number displayed the original ID. Thanks.

I know this is BETA...but any feedback? :)

Brian
09-09-2010, 07:56 PM
Did this feature go away? I couldn't find it (to un-do it) :)

fisamo
09-09-2010, 09:15 PM
Beta tab, Caller-ID command? Or, do you mean a listing for someone calling you (in your contacts)?

Brian
09-09-2010, 09:34 PM
That's what I mean - that link doesn't exist under Beta for me at the moment.

fisamo
09-10-2010, 01:00 PM
Can you access it directly (after logging in, of course)?

https://secure.voipo.com/beta/caller_id

Brian
09-12-2010, 08:09 AM
Can you access it directly (after logging in, of course)?

https://secure.voipo.com/beta/caller_id

Worked great - thanks!

energyx
01-17-2011, 08:11 PM
Looks like the verify option is missing now. Is the feature gone for good?

VOIPoTim
01-18-2011, 02:06 AM
Looks like the verify option is missing now. Is the feature gone for good?

It should still be there. No changes with that feature recently. What are you seeing where it was?

Brian
01-18-2011, 06:16 AM
It should still be there. No changes with that feature recently. What are you seeing where it was?

At least for me, I still can't see it directly when using Firefox. When I use IE or Chrome, I see "Caller-", then "ID" is cut off at the right edge of the blue bar. Accessing the feature directly through the link works fine.

energyx
01-18-2011, 09:17 AM

The only place I can enter a mobile phone number is Beta >> SMS Controls, btu there is no verify there. I don't see a mobile phone tab anywhere, and I've clicked on every tab and setting in VPanel.

mdntblu
03-02-2011, 07:44 PM
I have a Uverse Voice number that I want as my Caller-ID when dialing out until I port my Uverse Voice number over to Voipo. I add my Uverse Voice number to the Mobile section, click Verify and the phone never rings. Does it only work with a Google Voice number or a true mobile number? Uverse Voice is like a landline but I am testing Voipo before I switch over completely. Can a Tech person add it manually for me to choose as my outgoing CID?

mdntblu
03-03-2011, 02:37 PM
What would be the correct way to use my landline phone number as my outgoing caller id until I decide I want to keep Voipo and port my landline number into it? It seems to me you can only use mobile number.

JimDog
03-04-2011, 12:39 PM
What would be the correct way to use my landline phone number as my outgoing caller id until I decide I want to keep Voipo and port my landline number into it? It seems to me you can only use mobile number.
You can use any type of phone number as long as you're able to verify it. I use my Google Voice number as my outgoing caller ID. In VPanel, go to Beta -> Mobile. Type your landline number in the Mobile Number field and click the Add Mobile Number button. In the bottom section click the Click Here to Verify link and the system will call you and ask you to type in the verification code displayed in VPanel. After the number has been verified, it will appear in the Outbound Caller-ID drop-down list in Beta -> Misc. Just select it and click the Set Caller-ID button.

caseydoug
03-04-2011, 03:12 PM
Just enter your land line where you would otherwise enter your mobile phone number (either Beta/Mobile or Beta/SMS Control, I can't remember which).

sipman
11-14-2011, 07:27 PM
I second this request !!!!

It would be great if this feature could be used without having to first set the Calling Number ID via the web. For example, if a user had 2 additional numbers previously verified, dialing a prefix would allow you to place the call and deliver a different Calling Number ID on a per call basis.

For advanced/BYOD users this could be done fairly easily, and is similar to using a PAYG providers for outbound calling.

Of course, I'd expect with both Voipo-provisioned devices or BYOD, there's a considerable development and configuration management effort required by Voipo to make this happen.