PDA

View Full Version : Question for 2 lines

MisterEd
11-21-2009, 09:38 PM
I have 2 dedicated lines (currantly on Vonage) I am considering moving to Voipo. I do NOT want a virtual number because if someone dials the virtual number the main number will ring.

Here is the situation: I rarely use the 2nd line but need to keep it as a dedicated number/line. Vonage has provided me with a "zero minute" 4c/min if I make a call outbound line with unlimited inbound for $5/month. No it is NOT a virtual number.

Is there a way I can do something similar here?

fisamo
11-21-2009, 10:05 PM
I understand that you do not believe that you want a virtual number. However, Voipo has an interesting offer (involving a so-called 'virtual number') that may fit your situation nicely.

You can purchase a single account at the current promotional rate. That account comes with a 'cloned line' ... If you are not already familiar with the concept, the cloned line operates from the Line2 port on your ATA and functions as a second line that rings concurrently but independently of your Line1. (In other words, if nobody's on the phone and a call comes in, both lines ring. If someone's on Line1 and a call comes in, Line1 hears a call-waiting tone while Line2 rings, and vice versa for if someone's on Line2. If both lines are in use, I believe both will hear CW tones.)

With Voipo, if you purchase a virtual number, you can 'upgrade' your cloned line to a second line, associated with your virtual number. Once this upgrade step is completed, calls to your virtual number do not ring your main line and calls to your main line do not ring your VN. Calls placed from your virtual number 'line' are billed against your main account (ie. int'l calls), and your total account usage is combined prior to any 'abuse check' (looking for commercial-level activity on the residential account) analysis.

The cost for this VN is $4/mo if paid monthly or $24/yr if paid annually. There is no upcharge for 'upgrading' your VN to a 2nd line. Based on your description, this feature set should work well for you.

usa2k
11-22-2009, 05:27 AM
The cost for this VN is $4/mo if paid monthly or $24/yr if paid annually. There is no upcharge for 'upgrading' your VN to a 2nd line. Based on your description, this feature set should work well for you. If that is the VN price they should advertise it better. I always associate the pricing from the separate forwarding service that is $36 per year.

My virtual was a special promotion, so I have not really seen the rate they charge. A test/mock purchase did tell me the rate you quoted. That is a great price, especially for the line upgrade.

BTW: Its just as easy to downgrade via vPanel as it is to upgrade.
(Truthfully I've not tried that, but it looks like you 'upgrade' back to the primary number for cloned line again.)

MisterEd
11-22-2009, 12:02 PM
Perfect. That would be exactly what I want.

Only problem was I just went to sign up and the 2nd yr free promo was gone.

I'll wait until they offer it again. I understand it comes and goes very often.

I understand that you do not believe that you want a virtual number. However, Voipo has an interesting offer (involving a so-called 'virtual number') that may fit your situation nicely.

You can purchase a single account at the current promotional rate. That account comes with a 'cloned line' ... If you are not already familiar with the concept, the cloned line operates from the Line2 port on your ATA and functions as a second line that rings concurrently but independently of your Line1. (In other words, if nobody's on the phone and a call comes in, both lines ring. If someone's on Line1 and a call comes in, Line1 hears a call-waiting tone while Line2 rings, and vice versa for if someone's on Line2. If both lines are in use, I believe both will hear CW tones.)

With Voipo, if you purchase a virtual number, you can 'upgrade' your cloned line to a second line, associated with your virtual number. Once this upgrade step is completed, calls to your virtual number do not ring your main line and calls to your main line do not ring your VN. Calls placed from your virtual number 'line' are billed against your main account (ie. int'l calls), and your total account usage is combined prior to any 'abuse check' (looking for commercial-level activity on the residential account) analysis.

The cost for this VN is $4/mo if paid monthly or $24/yr if paid annually. There is no upcharge for 'upgrading' your VN to a 2nd line. Based on your description, this feature set should work well for you.

MisterEd
11-22-2009, 12:05 PM
One more quick question. How does VOICEMAIL work on this cloned line? Is it separate from the main line or do they both share the same voicemail?
If that is the VN price they should advertise it better. I always associate the pricing from the separate forwarding service that is $36 per year.

My virtual was a special promotion, so I have not really seen the rate they charge. A test/mock purchase did tell me the rate you quoted. That is a great price, especially for the line upgrade.

BTW: Its just as easy to downgrade via vPanel as it is to upgrade.
(Truthfully I've not tried that, but it looks like you 'upgrade' back to the primary number for cloned line again.)

fisamo
11-22-2009, 12:16 PM
When you sign up for a virtual number, you can have it use the main voicemail box or a separate voicemail account.

As for pricing, take a look at the bottom line. The previous offer was $175 for one year (then one year free), plus $36 for the 1st year taxes and fees (not charged the 2nd year), for a total of $211 for 2 years of service. The current pricing is $99 plus $36 for one year of service ($135, which would be $270 for two years, if you can purchase that second year at this time).

I'm not going to speculate about the promotions that are offered from time to time - as I understand, Tim uses sales numbers and probably other marketing surveys to decide what promotions to offer. I will only recommend that you go ahead and buy in when you feel that the offer is a fair price to you, knowing that you could just as easily miss a bigger discount (better promotion) as you could spare yourself a larger price tag when any given promotion ends.

caseydoug
11-22-2009, 01:28 PM
Fisamo, once you upgrade your cloned line to a second line, it was my understanding that you CANNOT use your primary line voice mailbox with the second line. Am I wrong?

Also, are you certain that international calls can be made from the second line? Are they counted against your 60 free minutes for the primary line?

MisterEd
11-22-2009, 01:30 PM
@Fisamo

Yea, but 12 hrs ago I could lock in 2 years for sure and save $60 on top of that according to your math. :) Being part of the USA 10.2% since late January I need to save what I can. I'll keep checking over the next week or 2 and see what happens. I'm currenty paid up on Vonage for another 3 weeks plus I KNOW there will be a hassle with them when I cancel ($40/line x 2 cancel fees) and actually getting them to release my number (I worked for them for over a year and know their "tricks.").

Maybe Voipo has a "Black Friday" or "Cyber Monday" deal in the works. :) It's not an emergency rush to switch.

fisamo
11-22-2009, 01:43 PM
:( Sorry to hear about your job situation, and best wishes at finding a new one soon. If you're not in an emergency rush to switch services, then by all means--take your time! :)

Does Vonage still require you to give them 10-days notice (before the next billing cycle) to cancel? As I recall, they did 5 years ago, not sure if that's changed.

@caseydoug:
The second line does appear to allow you to allow/block int'l calls, but I haven't tried making any yet. Perhaps a Voipo insider can chime in and indicate if Line 2 calls are billed against the 60 free minutes, etc.

As for voicemail, I apologize--you are right on that one. Once you upgrade the VN to its own separate line, you get two separate voicemail accounts, whether you like it or not.

burris
11-22-2009, 02:26 PM
I would imagine that the cloned line is just that...it has no individual identity and when I look at my call logs, I see that all calls, no matter if they come in or go out, show up in one place on the one account.

usa2k
11-22-2009, 04:54 PM
Fisamo, once you upgrade your cloned line to a second line, it was my understanding that you CANNOT use your primary line voice mailbox with the second line. Am I wrong?

You are 100% correct, thus my wish in my sig.

MisterEd
11-22-2009, 06:22 PM
I'm not sure if it is rule but if you are porting out they will drag it into the next billing period regardless.
:( Sorry to hear about your job situation, and best wishes at finding a new one soon. If you're not in an emergency rush to switch services, then by all means--take your time! :)

Does Vonage still require you to give them 10-days notice (before the next billing cycle) to cancel? As I recall, they did 5 years ago, not sure if that's changed.

@caseydoug:
The second line does appear to allow you to allow/block int'l calls, but I haven't tried making any yet. Perhaps a Voipo insider can chime in and indicate if Line 2 calls are billed against the 60 free minutes, etc.

As for voicemail, I apologize--you are right on that one. Once you upgrade the VN to its own separate line, you get two separate voicemail accounts, whether you like it or not.

caseydoug
11-22-2009, 06:25 PM
I would imagine that the cloned line is just that...it has no individual identity and when I look at my call logs, I see that all calls, no matter if they come in or go out, show up in one place on the one account.
That's true of the cloned line, but not of a cloned line that has been converted to a second line. The second line is truly independent, with almost all the features of the primary line. Best of all, it's free!

Assetbox
03-16-2010, 06:44 PM
What happens if I inadvertently exceed my bandwidth quota? Will my service be shutoff when the last "paid" packet leaves the wire, or will I get a "surprise" bill for a gazillion dollars at the end of the month?

Thanks

usa2k
03-16-2010, 07:02 PM
As a user of VOIPo I understand, you may be flagged and evaluated to ensure you are not violating the TOS by running heavy business usage or reselling the product. If it just out of the ordinary rather than every month, or you have 4 teenagers, or, ... ... ... they may just do nothing.

3000 inbound plus outbound combined, is not typical of a Residential Service.