PDA

View Full Version : Incorrect usage tracking and int'l call limiting

MacGyverLabs
01-21-2010, 12:07 AM
I performed some tests this morning related to fraud prevention and usage tracking with international calling, and came up with some unexpected results...

For testing, I enabled international calling on a test account and set the international usage limit to 5 minutes. I made a few 1 minute calls (bringing the account total to around 5 minutes), and was then able to make an 8 minute call (to ensure the limit timer wasn't focused on only an individual call, and another 3 minute call. No restriction. I verified the account has a 5 minute international usage limit, however the usage screen clearly shows 16 minutes of calls this morning.
On the Usage screen, the timers do not appear to be calculating correctly. I witnessed the following behavior during testing: While the account has a total of 16 minutes of international calling (from the activity listed above), the "Out PSTN - International:" counter is currently showing 32 minutes. I also noticed the "Out PSTN - Domestic:" timer was incremented after all of the international calls I made as well - again, for double the number of minutes used (If this is because you're charging for PSTN access, then the international call, why don't you just increase int'l calling rates to resellers by $.01 and not increment this counter - it's confusing to see domestic minutes increase for int'l calls.)
On the Usage screen, the 'Suggested Rate' column under international calling is presumably showing an appropriate markup on the 'Cost of Call'. However, incomplete calls which are correctly showing a 'Cost' of $0, are still reflecting a 'Suggested Rate' of $.024. I think it would be more appropriate for incomplete/$0 calls to reflect a suggested rate of $0 as well. Better yet, allow the reseller to set a 'multiplier' rate in the reseller CP for this column where all call costs will be multiplied by this multiplier and show as the suggested rate for the reseller to bill their customer.
There is a 'Time of Call' discrepancy between the 'Usage' tab and the 'Call History' Tab. For example, a call made to Beijing at 10:12a CT, shows on the 'Call History' tab as 10:12a vs. 16:12 on the 'Usage' tab (The 16:12 is likely zulu time, but consistency would be great).
There is a 'Cost of Call' discrepancy between the 'Usage' tab and the 'Call History' Tab. For example, a 3 minute call made to Beijing at 10:35a CT shows on the 'Call History' tab as $.081 vs. $.075 on the 'Usage' tab (and .099 as a 'Suggested Rate'). Upon further research, it looks like the $.081 includes the USF, and $.08 is what was charged to the reseller account, however it's confusing to see different rates for the same call... how about making the 'usage' tab reflect the same rate as 'Call History', and make the rate hot-linkable (like you do in Call History) with the detail of charges.

VOIPoTim
01-21-2010, 12:11 AM
Please keep posting things like this as you find them so we can look into them.

MacGyverLabs
01-21-2010, 12:14 AM
Trying to prove my BETA net-worth :p

MacGyverLabs
01-27-2010, 05:32 PM
I opened a ticket on this issue today (UOO-180016), in order to provide some additional account-specific information, such as call reference ID's.

I also noticed that all of my international calls done during the testing are reflecting a cost of $0 in the usage tab, so I suppose that might mean someone is working on it.

I've suspended further international testing until I see an update suggesting it would be beneficial to continue. If anyone sees tracking of int'l calling working as it should, please update. Thanks!