PDA

View Full Version : Hardware Models

VOIPoTim
03-04-2010, 12:23 PM
I just got a question in a PM regarding hardware models and what would be shipped if reseller purchase it from VOIPo and wanted to clarify some things...

VOIPo does not want to be in the hardware business and we expect to lose a pretty substantial amount of money on the hardware by offering it for resellers. We prefer that resellers purchase their own hardware.

With that being said, we know that we need to offer the option for some users that want it dropshipped and don't want to configure it. So we are making the option to purchase VOIPo hardware available if resellers choose to use it. It's just a necessary evil.

Even in quantities of 5-10K at a time, the discounts given are generally only $0.50 - $1 per unit on VoIP ATAs, so there are no margins in hardware. It's done at cost. So in order to make it work, we pull from the same inventory we use for our direct VOIPo customers and cannot take special requests or reserve certain models.

As far as the VOIPo inventory that we use for our direct customers and would ship from if you choose to purchase from us, here are some things to keep in mind. We ship a variety of devices including PAP2Ts, RT31P2s, and now Grandstream HT502s again. Devices may be new or used. We do not guarantee new devices even to our own customers because in order to keep things cost effective working devices have to be reused if someone cancels/returns a device.

The only exception would be if we continue to have a good experience with Grandstream, this time around we may start shipping ONLY HT502s since they have a router built in. That significantly reduces support since you can bypass a customer router. Linksys does not currently offer a device with a built in router that is cost effective for the residential VoIP market. They stopped making the RT31P2s years ago, but we had purchased the ones we had from the defunct AOL VoIP division. At this time we are continuing to support a mix.

I understand why you would want to have the same model consistently (to keep things simple), but in order to not lose a massive amount of money on hardware, we can only ship from our general inventory and what is in it.

If you need a specific device model, only new devices, or want to have more control over things, you can always purchase hardware on your own and add to our provisioning in vPanel.

We recommend VoIPDW.com if you choose to purchase hardware directly. We've dealt with them for years and it's been fine.

VOIPoTim
03-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Also we are shopping around having one of the online retailers like VoIPDW.com or VoIPSupply handle 100% of the reseller hardware business. We are getting quotes for having them handle drop shipping and provisioning for those.

No decision on going that route has been made yet either way.

tylerscell1
03-04-2010, 12:33 PM
Im kinda interested in this grandstream device.

usa2k
03-04-2010, 12:50 PM
4) We ship a variety of devices and don't generally guarantee a specific model since it depends on what we have in stock at the time.

In early 2009 we had major issues with Grandstream devices. A few weeks ago we started shipping some with the NEW Grandstream firmware and have had 0 issues reported. It appears most of the issues were resolved. Last time we used them, it was a relatively new device and very buggy. This time they seem better than Linksys so far.

So even though we don't guarantee specific devices, what I can say is that we are sending out Grandstreams right now so any orders in the next few days would definitely get them.

Can I add HT286 to the Hardware Provisioning?
I have a couple of these I could be testing that way. I've used them successfully with the manual provisioning info.

The KEY is the Hardware Provisioning Tool.
I would only want to support devices VOIPo can support. Right now the only hardware I know is supported is:

PAP2T
RT31P2

If you have more that can be supported, please let us resellers know.

VOIPoTim
03-04-2010, 12:53 PM
Check out http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?t=2226 for provisioning update I just posted.

Linksys PAP2T
Linksys RT31P2
Grandstream H286
Grandstream HT287
Grandstream HT502

We haven't fully tested the 286/287 provisioning yet since just added overnight, but it should work.

usa2k
03-04-2010, 12:59 PM
We haven't fully tested the 286/287 provisioning yet since just added overnight, but it should work.
I will try it out! :)

VOIPoTim
03-04-2010, 01:03 PM
Im kinda interested in this grandstream device.

http://www.grandstream.com/products/ht_series/ht502/ht502.html

usa2k
03-06-2010, 05:09 AM
Any chance the GrandStream HandyTone 486 Analog Telephone Adapter
could get added soon to the list?

usa2k
03-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Check out http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?t=2226 for provisioning update I just posted.

Linksys PAP2T
Linksys RT31P2
Grandstream H286
Grandstream HT287
Grandstream HT502

In another thread

The newer firmware is not fully compatible with the VOIPo network and will cause the device to be completely unusable with VOIPo service and it will be impossible to revert it back to the old version.This is good to know in case anybody came across more RT31P2 devices,
or got some idea to upgrade them!

usa2k
03-09-2010, 03:15 PM

Linksys PAP2T
Linksys RT31P2
Grandstream H286
Grandstream HT287
Grandstream HT502

The HT286 ATAs I have always show HT287 on VOIPo
They say HT286 on the case.

Which provisioning do I use?

Can you use the provision hardware page
to re-provision to a different account once assigned?

usa2k
03-16-2010, 09:13 PM
You guys are still (I understand) tweaking things for the HT286/HT287.
Looking forward to getting one as a managed config ...

I have it using the self provisioned credentials for now.

goldentouch
03-17-2010, 12:08 PM
i suggest adding the linksys spa 2102 to the supported/provisioned devices.
it is identical to the pap2t but includes a router.
i have been using it over a year with no issues.