PDA

View Full Version : Star Codes

sbradshaw
03-14-2008, 06:43 PM
I don't think star (*) codes have been discussed in a while (searching in the forum coming up blank).

Are there any * codes that should be functioning at this point? I tried *67, but it doesn't want to go through using the Grandstream HT-286. I tried *67 with * codes enabled on the ATA and with * codes disabled (relying on VOIPo to process any * codes passed to it). The call is not going through in either case.

VOIPoTim
03-15-2008, 07:14 AM
We removed all the server-side ones when we opted not to use Zoom. GS is wide open so we can do more.

We are going to add them all in this coming week.

myvoip07
03-15-2008, 09:54 AM
The * codes does help a lot, if you want to do a quick call forwarding/unforwading or other options you can just dial the * code and set/unset it in couple of seconds with the phone handset or softphone. Vpanel suits more better when you are away from the ATA.

fisamo
05-07-2008, 07:41 PM
I don't think star (*) codes have been discussed in a while (searching in the forum coming up blank).

Are there any * codes that should be functioning at this point? I tried *67, but it doesn't want to go through using the Grandstream HT-286. I tried *67 with * codes enabled on the ATA and with * codes disabled (relying on VOIPo to process any * codes passed to it). The call is not going through in either case.

We removed all the server-side ones when we opted not to use Zoom. GS is wide open so we can do more.

We are going to add them all in this coming week.

Did you ever re-enable star codes? If so, do you have a list of the codes supported? If not, do you plan on adding them and publishing a list of those you support prior to launch? If you plan to support them, they will need to be tested...

fisamo
05-15-2008, 05:40 PM
What is the official status of the * codes? I ask, because I finally moved a Residential line to my PAP2 (registered directly, not through my asterisk server) so I could check out the * codes. Here's what I observed:

*67 does not seem to work at all. My dial plan has a "send anything" pattern, and I disabled all of the "feature codes" (and explicitly removed *67 from the "block CID" field under the Regional tab). When I dial *67 and a 7-digit number, I get reorder tone. When I dial *67 and a 10-digit number, it sometimes gives me ringback, but the number I dialed doesn't ring. When I dial *67 and an 11-digit number, I get reorder tone.

*69 also seems to have issues. Sometimes, it gives reorder tone, sometimes it gives ringback (without actually ringing the target line), and sometimes it actually does ring back the target line. One of the times the target line rang, I decided to hang up the voipo line without answering the (CallVantage) target line. The target line kept ringing...

I haven't tested other * codes, because I'm not sure which ones you intend to support.

burris
05-15-2008, 06:17 PM
I just quickly did a test from my Grandstream, server provisioned, dialed *67 and then my cell phone.

Got no ring, but a normal busy signal. Call won't go through.

Both NPAs the same..

VOIPoTim
05-15-2008, 06:32 PM
The * codes are not implemented on codeblue. We'll be moving everyone to the production servers soon and those are there along with the near real-time call logs, etc.

fisamo
05-16-2008, 07:56 AM
Thanks for the update. Which star codes will be supported? I'd break them down into the following categories:

Must have:
*67 - per call CID block
*82 - per call CID allow (if you add a 'permanent CID block' feature to the vPanel, which I would also recommend)
*69 - Call return

Nice to have:
*70 - per call disable Call Waiting
*66 - busy line ringback (relatively low priority, though, as busy signals are becoming more and more infrequent as more people subscribe to CW and voicemail services)
*71 or *72 - Activate call forwarding (double-check vertical service codes on NANPA--as mentioned before, I prefer the 'standard' codes be assigned)
*73 - Cancel call forwarding
*?? - Enable/Disable Do Not Disturb (Except white list and E911 return calls, all calls are routed directly to VM)

VOIPoNorm
05-16-2008, 08:30 AM
A complete Telco list of Vertical Service Codes (star codes) is listed here:

http://www.nanpa.com/number_resource_info/vsc_definitions.html
http://www.nanpa.com/number_resource_info/vsc_assignments.html

Not all of the defined services are applicable in a VoIP environment (and some important services are not accounted for). I would submit that this is a good starting point.

In addition, just because NANPA has indicated a de-facto standard, does not mean that any company is required to follow suit.

Regards,
Norm

fisamo
05-16-2008, 10:33 AM
Norm,

Thanks for the link--I had seen the NANPA standard, and I agree that while a standard is a great starting point, it is voluntary. I don't think VOIPo should feel obliged to support ALL of those VSC's, by any stretch. My thought is that if you intend to market VOIPo as a POTS replacement, you'd want feature codes to match up as much as possible, as it seems telcos have pretty much followed the standard. It seems that many VoIP companies have gone 'wild West' on the feature codes, and at least respecting the standards (ie. following them when it makes sense, acknowledging that they exist, etc.) is a plus in my book.

varaonaid
09-26-2008, 05:19 PM
Just curious, what's the current status of the star codes? I tried to use the basic *67 a couple of days ago and got the standard busy signal. Dialing straight out (without the star code) worked fine so I was wondering if these had been implemented at this point.

burris
09-26-2008, 05:23 PM
Just curious, what's the current status of the star codes? I tried to use the basic *67 a couple of days ago and got the standard busy signal. Dialing straight out (without the star code) worked fine so I was wondering if these had been implemented at this point.

I have been trying as well but they probably haven't been set up yet..

NY Tel Guy
09-26-2008, 08:41 PM
I have been trying as well but they probably haven't been set up yet..There is a test number set up here in New York to see if your caller ID block or *67 has worked.

(212) 890-1900 it should tell you if you number was passed or not.
(In case you don't have another phone to test it with)

burris
09-26-2008, 08:45 PM
There is a test number set up here in New York to see if your caller ID block or *67 has worked.

(212) 890-1900 it should tell you if you number was passed or not.
(In case you don't have another phone to test it with)

Problem is that from here *67 gets a busy signal after dialing..