PDA

View Full Version : Very bad voice quality

ymhee_bcex
05-22-2012, 09:41 PM
I have two accounts (mine, and my in-laws'). Both are setup with BYOD. Same ISP (Time Warner), same geography (less than a mile from each other). Mine is working fine. In-laws' voice quality is terrible. As if very low upstream bandwidth (actual bandwidth is about 900kbps). However, another provider on the same adapter (I tried OBi100 and old SPA-2000) works perfectly fine; and Voipo provided adapter works perfectly fine as well. Also, my calls to them (in other words, Voipo-to-Voipo calls) work perfectly.

So, it seems that something is wrong with voipwelcome itself... I wanted them to have a single phone so the can call domestic (through Voipo) and International (through CallWithUs) - but obviously, with such a terrible voice quality it's not going to work.

Any ideas if Voipo guys can help troubleshoot this problem?

VOIPoTim
05-23-2012, 01:24 AM
I have two accounts (mine, and my in-laws'). Both are setup with BYOD. Same ISP (Time Warner), same geography (less than a mile from each other). Mine is working fine. In-laws' voice quality is terrible. As if very low upstream bandwidth (actual bandwidth is about 900kbps). However, another provider on the same adapter (I tried OBi100 and old SPA-2000) works perfectly fine; and Voipo provided adapter works perfectly fine as well. Also, my calls to them (in other words, Voipo-to-Voipo calls) work perfectly.

So, it seems that something is wrong with voipwelcome itself... I wanted them to have a single phone so the can call domestic (through Voipo) and International (through CallWithUs) - but obviously, with such a terrible voice quality it's not going to work.

Any ideas if Voipo guys can help troubleshoot this problem?

Just to test, have you tried swapping the ATAs or using a softphone from their location. Often when we see voice quality issues, it's an adapter going bad.

ymhee_bcex
05-23-2012, 08:12 AM
Just to test, have you tried swapping the ATAs or using a softphone from their location. Often when we see voice quality issues, it's an adapter going bad.

To quote myself, I tried OBi100 and old SPA-2000. Both work fine in my house with VOIPo BYOD; and both work fine with another provider in their house.

Felix

voipinit
05-25-2012, 09:44 AM
... and Voipo provided adapter works perfectly fine as well. Also, my calls to them (in other words, Voipo-to-Voipo calls) work perfectly...

Sounds to me like your ATA settings (or comparable) are not set to work correctly with VOIPo. If the VOIPo supplied ATA works fine at you 'in-laws' and your BYOD setup does not, well I think you have your answer.