PDA

View Full Version : Using Voipo with multiple phones

Actually
08-03-2012, 07:43 AM
Does the Voipo adapter allow you to have more than one phone in the house (like in rooms other than where the computer is)? Is it plugged into a phone jack near the computer and that allows other phone jacks to work? Just trying to understand the technical side more.

Thanks,

Jim

MarkTomlinson
08-03-2012, 10:43 PM
There's a thread about that around here somewhere; basically people figured out you can plug it into your wall jack and thereby activate all jacks -- as long as you disconnect the line entering your house first. Hunt around and see if you can find the thread and read it first, otherwise you could fry your ATA. Be warned, VOIPo doesn't support this, so you're kind of on your own.

I did that for a while. In fact, I had two lines running over two-pair twisted copper. Eventually, however, I decided a better way (for me at least) was to get two multi-handset wireless phones. Since I have two lines, I put both base units next to the ATA and put the additional handsets in the appropriate rooms (the home line went in the kitchen, my work line went in my office, and so on). This works better for me in many ways; I have a battery backup and the base units, ATA, and cable modem are all plugged in, giving me phone service even during power outages. I can put phones where I need them. I don't have to debug wiring issues. And I don't run the risk of electrical storms zapping the ATA.

Currently, I'm renovating a house. I'll be pulling all copper wire out of it and running everything -- including the phones -- wireless. My personal opinion is that copper is dead technology.

Sampratt
04-17-2013, 05:22 AM
If you are using wireless phone jacks and It definitely help you to connect multiple phones. Many wireless phone jacks have built-in surge protection for connection many phone extensions.