PDA

View Full Version : 2nd line (like VT)

Brian
07-27-2008, 11:07 AM
I think there was a thread about this some time ago, but I can't seem to find it. Tim, thoughts/plans to do a "free" 2nd line, like VT is doing? I'm not sure how much appeal this has to people, but I'd imagine it's a pretty big marketing plus.

burris
07-27-2008, 11:14 AM
I think there was a thread about this some time ago, but I can't seem to find it. Tim, thoughts/plans to do a "free" 2nd line, like VT is doing? I'm not sure how much appeal this has to people, but I'd imagine it's a pretty big marketing plus.

Wouldn't it also require a two line ATA?

christcorp
07-27-2008, 11:14 AM
Or, cheaper yet for VoipO, but just as useful for the actual customer, is possibly a promo/free/discounted/etc... "Virtual Number". MOST people probably wouldn't have need of a second line for residential use. I say most, because there are definitely those with kids, home business, etc... that might have a need. But most don't. However, it seems that most people have gone mobile and now have friends and family in other states. As such, a virtual number in a distant state where family/friends can call LOCAL would be a good promo or marketing ploy if it was a promo or such. I.e. FIRST 10,000 to sign up with VOIPO get a FREE Virtual Number for 1 year. (You know they will renew it). The first 5000 to sign up get a FREE Viirtual Number for 2 years. (BUILD UP LONGIVITY in customers). The first 1000 to sign up get a FREE Virtual Number for LIFE. (Anyway, just some ideas). I think Virtual numbers are a lot more useful to customers, and they are a lot cheaper for VoipO to promo than a totally 2nd line. Later... Mike....

Brian
07-27-2008, 11:48 AM
Wouldn't it also require a two line ATA?

Or a softphone.

usa2k
07-27-2008, 12:06 PM
I've had a second ATA, same credentials on my two line phone.

I don't think 2-line will be a likely thing because the average user will not have access to their setup details.

If VOIPo had handed out GS with two phone ports, it could have been a cool promotion, and maybe only for users that have been with them long enough? Say 2nd phone port after 4 months with VOIPo as a retention thing.

Whatever they do with soft phone might be a more likely 2nd line possibility. Especially if the softphone is just a second instance of the primary line. Perhaps tied to a MAC ID?

burris
08-15-2008, 03:34 PM
I've had a second ATA, same credentials on my two line phone.

I don't think 2-line will be a likely thing because the average user will not have access to their setup details.

If VOIPo had handed out GS with two phone ports, it could have been a cool promotion, and maybe only for users that have been with them long enough? Say 2nd phone port after 4 months with VOIPo as a retention thing.

Whatever they do with soft phone might be a more likely 2nd line possibility. Especially if the softphone is just a second instance of the primary line. Perhaps tied to a MAC ID?

I began to think about another line only for calling out when the main phone is tied up and began looking at previous posts.

I was wondering if I could hook up my SPA2102 to be able to get another dial tone. I would certainly be willing to pay a nominal sum to achieve this...if it's practical or possible.

I suppose the other possibility would be to get hooked up to a SIP. Only for outbound..

I've never gone that route before so I'm not too intimate with the process.

usa2k
08-15-2008, 08:35 PM
Tim is very generous in not forcing an extra fee, or prohibiting this, but main-stream users won't have such ability since they will have a locked managed GS. I would be the first to say VOIPo can change their mind any time. From my call logs, I am sure most 1-line setups use way more minutes than at my house.

I just use it as a convenience, and it might be something VOIPo can evaluate if they feel like doing so. The GrandStream lacks the second port, so another ATA, or a soft phone are the remaining possibilities.

A second GrandStream with the same number and plan minutes ... would be worth paying for the cost of a second adapter just for consistency. That would not need anything fancier on vPanel and I doubt too many would abuse it badly (but what do I know?) That way, two managed GS would be real simplicity for even non-beta users. Perhaps in the future?

VOIPo has their hands full getting their main Residential offering ready, so lots of time for revisiting a thread as this in the future.

burris
08-16-2008, 05:19 AM
Tim is very generous in not forcing an extra fee, or prohibiting this, but main-stream users won't have such ability since they will have a locked managed GS. I would be the first to say VOIPo can change their mind any time. From my call logs, I am sure most 1-line setups use way more minutes than at my house.

I just use it as a convenience, and it might be something VOIPo can evaluate if they feel like doing so. The GrandStream lacks the second port, so another ATA, or a soft phone are the remaining possibilities.

A second GrandStream with the same number and plan minutes ... would be worth paying for the cost of a second adapter just for consistency. That would not need anything fancier on vPanel and I doubt too many would abuse it badly (but what do I know?) That way, two managed GS would be real simplicity for even non-beta users. Perhaps in the future?

VOIPo has their hands full getting their main Residential offering ready, so lots of time for revisiting a thread as this in the future.

I totally agree that for me, there is no urgency in trying to implement this idea. I have cell phones with plenty of minutes that are never used.

I certainly agree that Tim's thrust must be to have a solid reliable service, such as it already is, and keep it that way....without trying to emulate VT and its quest for a network that doesn't work, but has the most bells and whistles...which also don't work.

When I was with VT, I posted the thought many times, that reliability is first on the list, and for those who want to fiddle, they missed their chance when Rome was burning..;)

NY Tel Guy
08-16-2008, 06:59 AM
I think this is a bad idea. With Callvantage blocking new users and some here wanting to have a second line available, I just think it is bad business to even talk about this before the company launches a stable product.

This is what got VT in trouble. An influx of new customers combined with a company that had very little written down to document the 6 previous features that they had implemented is a dangerous business combo.

This product needs to launch as a defined product, have it work and be stable and then adding other features can be considered and put into the mix later.

Remember, volume here is not your long term friend. Having a lot of customers paying a little money puts money in the checking account but it does little to sustain long term customers.

If VT has given me what I had paid for, I would have kept the line with them. A second line from a service that did not work on line 1 only compounded the problems.

So I vote to move slower because accuracy and quality is key here. :)

fisamo
08-16-2008, 08:17 AM
The GrandStream lacks the second port, so another ATA, or a soft phone are the remaining possibilities.

I think this is a bad idea. With Callvantage blocking new users and some here wanting to have a second line available, I just think it is bad business to even talk about this before the company launches a stable product.

It sounds to me like the general consensus is "later, if at all." At this point, any changes that would delay launch, unless necessary to ensure a reliable, compliant product, should be made with great caution (if at all). VOIPo has made enough noise about upcoming launch that any unnecessary delay in that launch should be avoided. (Note that I'm not saying that a launch needs to be rushed, either.) 'Fluff' (and yes, that does include simul-ring, since it's not offered now) should be held back until the system is up and running and has built up a strong track record.

Further, given that the GS has only one port, I think a 2nd line option (with that adapter) is unwise. Now, some kind of softphone option could be interesting, just I do think that to prevent abuse, an implementation similar to ATTCV's softphone (in that the SIP creds are encrypted within a license key) would be the way to go. If, somehow, the softphone were to tie in to the main number (as opposed to being a 2nd line), I'd recommend a separate SIP username for the softphone. But again, later. :)

A big concern about having a 2nd Grandstream with the same creds (or even CID number) is 911 compliance. If both adapters are set up at different addresses, which address would be sent to the PSAP? Food for thought...