Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Planet still being used / blocked UDP traffic

Default Re: The Planet still being used / blocked UDP traffic

Quote Originally Posted by Xponder1 View Post
    The problem your having is your router (or its firmware anyway). If it is blocking any of your VOIP related traffic you need to forward ports. It's not like someone would benefit from hacking your ATA and nothing is behind the ATA to be affected anyway.

To answer your question the answer is NO its not normal but it is your router that is causing the issue not the ATA or the service itself. VOIPo can not help you with this issue. Just because your not noticing a problem at this time does not mean that your router blocking their traffic is not causing some kind of problem.

I have a Linksys WRT54GS V6 running DD-WRT and run a SYSLOG to monitor it and my router does not block any traffic to or from the ATA at all. If it did the first thing I would do would be to either forward the ports (or you can DMZ the ATA) regardless of if I noticed a issue. It just makes since.
    As I've said. My service appears to be working well - can make and receive calls fine. I've heard on dslreports about folks getting spam calls - wont forwarding ports open me up to it?

No one from VOIPo has stated that the traffic I'm experiencing is not normal. As previously mentioned I've run multiple ATA's of different manufacturers behind this particular router with no issue. Have you examined the packets going through your router - do you see a similar set of servers sending packets to your router?
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by fisamo View Post
    Since Russell indicates that the service works just fine, I'm inclined to disagree--"If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Now, if the only time a problem would crop up is if failover tried to kick in and 'misbehaved' (or kicked in when it shouldn't have), you might want to change your router's configuration. Also, if you (Russell) experience problems in the future, you have a red flag waving at you when you start your troubleshooting...
    Couldn't agree more. The first thing I'll do is DMZ it.
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by sr98user View Post
    Russell,

You could use wireshark to see what kind of data goes out of your of ATA. See if the ATA is trying to talk to all the SIP servers. Do the same test by disabling the firewall. And see if there is a difference. You will need a hub to look at the traffic on your PC.
    A good suggestion, but not sure I have the technical expertise to get to the bottom of it (besides not having that hub). But once again the friendly folk at VOIPo don't seem to feel that this traffic is abnormal.
    Russell