Thread: Who is handling my audio?

Default Who is handling my audio?

I am registered with east01, but looking at the audio stream, I see it talking to mediagw-106.jfk1.bandwidthclec.com. Is that a voipo media gateway?

Default Re: Who is handling my audio?

We actually don't handle any audio unless the account is specifically set to have us handle it. It's all handed off the the terminating media gateways by default. In that case, that is a Banwidth.com gateway which is a CLEC we work with.

The option for audio handling is in vPanel under Features - Preferences - Advanced.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Ah, well, that's a change - I don't remember hearing anything about that. I remember way back moving to east01 to get audio handled 'in house' due to some choppy audio issues. I just got off a lengthy call with occasionally choppiness inbound. I'll try changing it to in-house and see what happens.

Did it, and saw the RTP packets to/from a voipwelcome host. Cool...

VOIPoJustin Guest

Another thing to keep in mind -- while having VOIPo handle your audio directly does ensure the quality of data; it can sometimes come at the expense of increased latency with the RTP transmission (in situations where a terminating media gateway is significantly closer from a geographical perspective).

True, but in this case, east01 is very close to me - 22ms or so