Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Outgoing Calls dropped at 32 seconds on Verizon DSL

Default Re: Outgoing Calls dropped at 32 seconds on Verizon DSL

Yeah, good job. As I said before, I don't think it's the Actiontec itself, but possibly Verizon's firmware or configuration. I'll be interested to see whether you can get it working with that device.

farmer, silly question for you: you said it wouldn't work with a static IP. this is very surprising. now for the silly part (forgive me, but i don't know your level of networking savvy). you set a static IP, but did you remember to set the default gateway for the pap2t? if not, it would not be able to reach any outside host.

Yes, the default gateway was set correctly with the static ip. The PAP2T did connect with the static IP using the Actiontec, but not with the Westell. As soon as I changed the PAP2T back to dhcp it connected in seconds. Perhaps the westell is not be routing numbers outside of it's dhcp range, I didn't look too closely at the routing tables.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerMike View Post
    Yes, the default gateway was set correctly with the static ip. The PAP2T did connect with the static IP using the Actiontec, but not with the Westell. As soon as I changed the PAP2T back to dhcp it connected in seconds. Perhaps the westell is not be routing numbers outside of it's dhcp range, I didn't look too closely at the routing tables.
    another silly question: static IP worked with the AT, but not the westell. did you reboot the pap2t, or did you just unplug the AT and plug in the westell? i ask because if the latter, the pap2t was most likely still using the old MAC address for the AT in its ARP table, whereas changing to dhcp would have likely flushed all of that.

Don't waste another second on the actiontec, so many problems are caused by their rubbish I will not work on anyones network until they are replaced.
    Westell are not that great either but can usually be persuaded to work until they get too hot and keel over.

Well family events (funerals and hospital - 3 diff people), farming and work have kept me too busy to mess with the Actiontec. Now verizon is calling about me sending back the defective unit.

The westell is working fine, so anyone having problems with the Actiontec GT704WG (rev B with verizon firmware 30.15.0) - get a different dsl router. Call verizon and ask for a swap or get something else from the net.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions - now to get my number ported to Voipo and convert to dry loop DSL.