Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Restart Call" feature

Default "Restart Call" feature

I'd like a "restart call" feature.

When my wife calls me from our Voipo phone at home, the voice quality might be perfect, might be poor.

Most of the time, one of us will hang up and redial. Usually the 2nd call is crystal.

It'd be nice to have a feature whereby, during a phone call with bad quality, you could hit "***" or something and Voipo would basically re-start the phone call, as if you'd hung up and re-dialed the parties to get a better line.

Default Re: "Restart Call" feature

I *think* by that point, you are direct connected?

Its an unusual idea. There must be some signaling or how would VOIPo know how long the call lasts? I wonder if some vPanel request could do that? And do it so neither of you can sense it.

A ticket reporting such an issue, may be your only way to help VOIPo improve future connections.

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!

I wonder how they could do this if one of the connections is PSTN.

Maybe on a VOIPo to VOIPo call, but haven't you ever gotten a bad connection on a land line to cell or cell to cell or land line to land line?
    Just how much trouble is it to redial?
    Are we that lazy.

Sounds like it would be best to address the root cause of the problem. A phone service where some calls are fine and others are poor is not acceptable. Submit a ticket and see if the poor quality calls can be fixed.

Would submitting a ticket actually help? Intermittently poor quality? What do they do, put you on the "good" servers?

I guess I just assume that this kind of service is the nature of Voip. Sometimes it's good, other times not.

Quote Originally Posted by kbuck320 View Post
    Would submitting a ticket actually help? Intermittently poor quality? What do they do, put you on the "good" servers?

I guess I just assume that this kind of service is the nature of Voip. Sometimes it's good, other times not.
    Not really. You should have solid service all the time (assuming you have a solid ISP with decent bandwidth not being usurped by (e.g.) torrents).
    Russell

Speed-dial my friend

Push a couple numbers and you have your 'restart call'

Or, if the call was incoming, look at the current CID and push talk...If it was outgoing, simply push redial and away you go.

Guys .. suggesting performing a speed-dial / re-dial is not helpful. Of course I can, and do exactly that. -- The reality is that calls, which if re-started, often clear up VQ issues.

While I can do that re-dial quickly with my wife (although this lowers the wife acceptance factor by the day) it is plain embarrassing with other parties who I call or call me. "hey, can I call you back .. and try to get a better line? My inconsistent phone line might get better if we redial."

A better solution would be as I suggested. Press some key sequence, have voipo restart, and tell the other party to please hold for a few secs. -- very similar to hitting the 'channel' button on a cordless phone.

--

I believe my isp is decent. It passes tests w/flying colors. The fact that two successive calls have different VQ tends (not 100%) to rule the isp out. (And no, I'm not doing p2p or other network heavy apps.)

I do realize that this may be impossible, but I imagine that other voip users have experienced similar issues and would benefit from a feature like this.

In truth, posting here isn't aimed at getting users' attention, but at the Voipo guys themselves, so they can respond with their thoughts.

I'm curious if you've had other VOIP providers with the same ISP and whether they've been flawless? Care to mention the ISP and level of service you have?
    Russell