Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Success

Default Success

Sorry, I don't have a problem

I just wanted to report in on my experience so far...

I received the PAP2T yesterday and it fired right up and gave me a dial tone. I went into my Linksys router running DD-WRT and did the recommend port forwarding, and turned on Qos for the MAC for the ATA. No difference detected, but this was recommended.

Let me comment that this is a major improvement in shipping methods than my first experience with VOIPo. Back in February, they sent an ATA that looked a bit scratched up, and no wonder since the ATA was thrown in a box with no packing material, etc. This time around, the package was well packed and very professional. No pretty pictures like Vonage, but also no pretty prices like Vonage.

I had to chat with support to ask them what my temp number is until my number port occurs, and they informed me that I had to order a virtual number until then. So I did, and it was running in a couple of minutes.

I then went to my Future Nine control panel and did a SIP number forward for my old number to the VOIPo ATA. After a few tries, and help from a chat with support, I got that working okay. Much to my surprise, even CNAM is being forwarded over the SIP connection.

My Uniden cordless phone system rings fine, and CNAM comes in fine. This was a problem for me with my previous provider, until I tweaked the settings for ring voltage on my PAP2T. My DirecTV receiver also receives CNAM just fine.

We have only made few calls so far, so lets just say that so far the sounds is good. WAF=green, and she thinks it might sound a little better than with Future Nine. There might have been an slight echo during a portion of one call, so we will see.

I just went to the Fax service in the VOIPo control panel and sent myself a 2 page fax. I set my Lexmark All-In-One to have ECM off and a max speed of 9600. The fax was received perfectly and the quality is really good. I will try sending a fax at the same speed setting maybe tomorrow. I suppose I should sometime try it with ECM turned back on too.

I tried to receive a fax with my Canon All-In-One, and it did not even recognize that the phone was ringing. Either this is a set up issue with the Canon (would not be surprised), or it does not recognize the ring voltage or something like that. I am not going to mess with it, and just use the Lexmark.

So it is way early, but so far, this is all good.
    Last edited by abward; 12-03-2009 at 07:43 PM.

Default Re: Success

Welcome back! Does your wife know that this switch was back to the 'evil-throw-the-ATA-in-the-street' provider you had left several months back?

Not sure she has figured that out completely yet, but again, we will not hold a grudge and are giving VOIPo another chance. Frankly, the home phone is a bit less important now than it was earlier this year, when I was looking for a job, my Sprint mobile reception stunk, and we were missing calls through VOIPo. Now, I have a new job (for now), I have an iPhone that gets great reception at home (and everywhere else so far), and we just need reasonably good home phone service. Let's hope VOIPo delivers.

Thumbs up Re: Success

Glad things are a good start.
    I have never needed port forwarding.
    http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.p...hlight=wrt54gl

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!

Ok, thanks. I will remove the forwarding.

In all seriousness, I'm glad to hear things have stabilized somewhat and that Voipo is working better for you this time around.

Just received a card and box of (delicious) brownies from the gang at VOIPo for coming back. Very nice! WAF++

Question: Since I am currently doing a SIP forward from Future Nine, until my number port completes, are the incoming calls "traveling farther" and should I therefore expect the quality to improve after the port?

When you dial out, that should represent a VOIPo connection.
    Not sure about SIP forwarding? Or if different methods are used?

Not sure how directly involved VOIPo is, when forwarding to SIP?

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!

Quote Originally Posted by abward View Post
    Just received a card and box of (delicious) brownies from the gang at VOIPo for coming back. Very nice! WAF++

Question: Since I am currently doing a SIP forward from Future Nine, until my number port completes, are the incoming calls "traveling farther" and should I therefore expect the quality to improve after the port?
    Yes, when forwarding the call stays connected through both points the entire time...it's not just handed off.

So in this case your incoming is going from POTS network to Future-Nine Provider to Future-Nine to US. Since Future-Nine proxies audio, the audio stream is also making that trip too.

Whether the quality would improve is hard to say, but it's definitely got some extra stuff in there in comparison to direct.

We don't proxy audio unless we have to, so in most cases the audio stream is directly from POTS network media gateway to ATA.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

The forum is kind of quiet (this is a probably a good thing), so I will keep putting stuff in here for awhile until someone tells me to shut up, or I lose interest...

Yesterday, there were some issues with a couple of calls. Neither one showed up in the call history at all.

For the 1st one, to Canada, my wife dialed the number and nothing at all happened. I think she might have dialed 11 digits. I tried hours later, with 10 digits, and it went through just fine. Support said it would be better to dial 10 digits than 11 anyway.

For the 2nd one, a local call, the call was cut off in the middle of the conversation. I opened a ticket, and was suggested by support to turn port forwarding on in my router, so I did. I already had Qos turned on and a static ip lease for the ATA in place.

I tried more faxing today and a two page fax worked in both directions with my Lexmark All-In-One set to 9600 bps, and ECM on. I think I will leave it like that and not try to push the speed up, since I send/receive only a handful of faxes a year. I can always use the control panel fax thingy to send, if I need to.
    Last edited by abward; 12-05-2009 at 09:17 PM.