Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Before number is ported, getting voice mail

Default Before number is ported, getting voice mail

New VOIPo subscriber, porting my number from VoicePulse. The port is scheduled to take place on Dec 29. My VoicePulse line is still active, and I don't have my VOIPo router yet (should be here tomorrow).

For some reason, I received a voicemail on my VOIPo account (received an email notification), logged into vPanel, and there's a voicemail.

Now, since the number isn't ported yet, why did I receive a voicemail on the VOIPo account? My wife also mentioned that a friend of hers called us this morning, and the first call went into a fast busy, but the 2nd time it worked fine.

I don't like being in this limbo state, especially around Christmas and the anticipation of many phone calls coming in.

-Craig

Default Re: Before number is ported, getting voice mail

Quote Originally Posted by ctaranto View Post
    New VOIPo subscriber, porting my number from VoicePulse. The port is scheduled to take place on Dec 29. My VoicePulse line is still active, and I don't have my VOIPo router yet (should be here tomorrow).

For some reason, I received a voicemail on my VOIPo account (received an email notification), logged into vPanel, and there's a voicemail.

Now, since the number isn't ported yet, why did I receive a voicemail on the VOIPo account? My wife also mentioned that a friend of hers called us this morning, and the first call went into a fast busy, but the 2nd time it worked fine.

I don't like being in this limbo state, especially around Christmas and the anticipation of many phone calls coming in.

-Craig
    Do you have a "temporary" Voipo number and did you forward your Voiceplus calls to that number?

Why would you disconnect your Voiceplus device ? You said your Voiceplus account is still active, just leave it hooked up until you you get your number ported to Voipo other wise you won't have phone service till 12/29 (unless maybe you port completed early). Where did you get the 12/29 date? Did you try calling your Voiceplus number from a cellphone yourself and see what happens?

1. I don't have a temporary VOIPo number and I haven't changed any settings on my VoicePulse account. When I log into vPanel, it does list the number waiting to be ported.
    2. I received an email from VOIPo that the port will be happening on 12/29
    3. I confirmed with VoicePulse that the port will happen on 12/29
    4. The VoicePulse adapter is still hooked up. Why would I disconnect it before the port (and before getting a VOIPo adapter)?
    5. I called my phone number from my mobile phone. It worked fine (phones rang). VoicePulse is still active and working.

I get a feeling that calls are randomly going to VOIPo and VoicePulse.

/c

So who was the voicemail from? Was it a clear case of someone dialing your now-VoicePulse-but-soon-to-be-ported-to-Voipo number? Until the port is completed, there's no reason an inbound call to your number that hasn't ported yet should be 'seen' by the Voipo network.

What does the Voipo call log show?

Call log shows nothing. The call was from a doctor to confirm an appointment my wife has tomorrow, so they called our official number.

/c

1. I don't have a temporary VOIPo number and I haven't changed any settings on my VoicePulse account. When I log into vPanel, it does list the number waiting to be ported.
    2. I received an email from VOIPo that the port will be happening on 12/29
    3. I confirmed with VoicePulse that the port will happen on 12/29
    4. The VoicePulse adapter is still hooked up. Why would I disconnect it before the port (and before getting a VOIPo adapter)?
    5. I called my phone number from my mobile phone. It worked fine (phones rang). VoicePulse is still active and working.

I get a feeling that calls are randomly going to VOIPo and VoicePulse.

/c
    Weird, doesn't make sense as the number is either ported or not. It would have to go through 2 different underlying phone companies to go to BOTH Voipo and and VP which I would think would not be possible since there can only be one owner at any one time.

Sorry, I misread your OP, thought you said you disconnected your other device.

This website will tell what underlying carrier "owns" your phone number. http://tnid.org/ Only one can have it at a time. It takes a couple days to update after a port but it is pretty quick. The number I just ported to Voipo from Vonage is now owned by Qwest. This was confirmed by Vonage as well. When it was with Vonage it was owned by FOcal Communications.
    Last edited by MisterEd; 12-17-2009 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd View Post
    Weird, doesn't make sense as the number is either ported or not. It would have to go through 2 different underlying phone companies to go to BOTH Voipo and and VP which I would think would not be possible since there can only be one owner at any one time.

Sorry, I misread your OP, thought you said you disconnected your other device.

This website will tell what underlying carrier "owns" your phone number. http://tnid.org/ Only one can have it at a time. It takes a couple days to update after a port but it is pretty quick. The number I just ported to Voipo from Vonage is now owned by Qwest. This was confirmed by Vonage as well. When it was with Vonage it was owned by FOcal Communications.
    I agree it's weird, which is why I'm posting a message here.

The tnid.org site shows me the original owner of the number (it's been ported twice since, and this is the 3rd time). I do see "Telephone Company Equipment Location Code", but it doesn't really tell me who currently owns it.

/c

FWIW You could go through several different companies, and the number could still come from the same CLEC. Level3 for example, is very popular for VoIP companies.

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!

I agree it's weird, which is why I'm posting a message here.

The tnid.org site shows me the original owner of the number (it's been ported twice since, and this is the 3rd time). I do see "Telephone Company Equipment Location Code", but it doesn't really tell me who currently owns it.

/c
    When I put my (not yet ported) other number I see this. FOCAL is Vonage's CLEC. My other Voipo line which has ported is Qwest. Port took about 1 week.

Last edited by MisterEd; 12-18-2009 at 08:05 AM.

Interesting. I went to the site again, and NOW is does display who owns the number:

Current Telephone Company:
    Broadview Networks Inc.

Original Telephone Company:
    At&t Local

Original Telephone Company Type:
    Competitive Local Exchange Carrier (CLEC)

Telephone Number Owner's Estimated City: Framingham
    Telephone Number Owner's Estimated Region: Massachusetts
    Telephone Number Owner's Estimated Postal Code: 01702
    Telephone Company Equipment Location Code: FRMNMAWADS0

This is all interesting information (and I appreciate the assistance), but it doesn't really explain why I received a voicemail on my VOIPo line before the port. The two ports in the past were like a light switch, as they should be.

/c