Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PAP2T vs RT31P2

Default PAP2T vs RT31P2

Any reason why I was sent an RT31P2 vs a PAP2T? I have a PAP2T with my existing VoicePulse service. I had a RT31P2 with Vonage years ago.

Any ideas which one has better voice quality, less echoing, etc? Or are they identical internally, but the RT31P2 also is a 3 port router?

Thanks,

-Craig

Default Re: PAP2T vs RT31P2

Without a support request, you are always most likely to get the RT31P2.

I've never used one, so I cannot comment on quality.
    I've been thinking of buying one to evaluate.

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!

I more prefer PAP2T.

I am currently using PAP2T unlocked with another VOIP provider.

I also had a PAP2T with my former VoicePulse service. Then I received the RT31P2 from Voipo. I haven't noticed any difference in reliability or voice quality. The one thing I do like is that the RT31P2 and my wireless router are both Linksys units. They stack nicely on top of each other. Although, I did add some foam extensions to the legs of the top unit to create more airflow between them.

The RT31P2 is the primary device shipped most of the time.

As our inventory changes, we do occasionally send out PAP2s or other Linksys devices, but we can't accept any special requests for device models.

All devices that we send out are 100% supported for all VOIPo features and functionality and are fully managed by VOIPo.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoTim View Post
    ... but we can't accept any special requests for device models.
    In the good old days you guys had more time to spoil us

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!

Update 1/6/2010: Most of the issues noted below were due to me resetting the RT31P2 adapter using the little red button in the back. That made it lose the required provisioning information needed to connect to the VOIPo servers. Most of you will not need to go through this, but it does show what a helpful bunch of users are on this forum.

See http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?t=1919 for how I currently have my network set up.

-------

Great info.

Question about hooking the RT31P2 with another router (WRT54G running Tomato) in front of it.

With VoicePulse, I had a PAP2T. Simply connect a LAN port on the WRT54G to the "Internet" port (the only Ether port on it), and it worked. It got an internal IP address on the same subnet as the WRT, and all was great.

With the RT31P2, do I need to connect the LAN port of the WRT54G to the WAN port of the RT31P2? Or can I get away with using the LAN port?

I greatly prefer the WRT54G being first in line since all wireless devices connect to it and I use it for QOS.

I did connect the RT31P2 via WAN port. I don't have a "line 1" light lit. And because it's on a different subnet, I can't access it without hardwiring a PC to it.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

-Craig
    Last edited by ctaranto; 01-06-2010 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ctaranto View Post
    Great info.

Question about hooking the RT31P2 with another router (WRT54G running Tomato) in front of it.

With VoicePulse, I had a PAP2T. Simply connect a LAN port on the WRT54G to the "Internet" port (the only Ether port on it), and it worked. It got an internal IP address on the same subnet as the WRT, and all was great.

With the RT31P2, do I need to connect the LAN port of the WRT54G to the WAN port of the RT31P2? Or can I get away with using the LAN port?

I greatly prefer the WRT54G being first in line since all wireless devices connect to it and I use it for QOS.

I did connect the RT31P2 via WAN port. I don't have a "line 1" light lit. And because it's on a different subnet, I can't access it without hardwiring a PC to it.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

-Craig
    This is my setup:

DSL Modem -> Linsys WRT54GS wireless router -> VOIPo RT31P2 Adapter

Linsys WRT54GS = 192.168.1.1

VOIPo RT31P2 = 192.168.1.188, VOIPo suggested the IP should be outside the range of the WRT54GS.

I have 2 PCs connect to the RT31P2 , the IPs are: 192.168.15.100 and 192.168.15.101. Both of them are static. The default getway on RT31P2 is 192.168.15.1. You can leave the DHCP enable, it will handle the IP for you automatically.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by voip123; 12-18-2009 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ctaranto View Post
    Great info.

With the RT31P2, do I need to connect the LAN port of the WRT54G to the WAN port of the RT31P2?
    -Craig
    That's what you do.

And, that's the way I've got mine setup. WAN of RT31P2 to LAN of my other router which is connected to the UVerse RG box.

I have both a RT31P2 and a PAP2T and frankly I can't tell the difference in voice quality.
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by voip123 View Post
    This is my setup:

DSL Modem -> Linsys WRT54GS wireless router -> VOIPo RT31P2 Adapter

Linsys WRT54GS = 192.168.1.1

VOIPo RT31P2 = 192.168.1.188, VOIPo suggested the IP should be outside the range of the WRT54GS.

I have 2 PCs connect to the RT31P2 , the IPs are: 192.168.15.100 and 192.168.15.101. Both of them are static. The default getway on RT31P2 is 192.168.15.1. You can leave the DHCP enable, it will handle the IP for you automatically.

Hope this helps.
    How did you connect the WRT to the RT? From the WRT LAN, did you connect to the RT WAN or RT LAN?

Thanks,

-Craig