Thread: (E)911 Question

Default (E)911 Question

I know a 911 call is routed to a PSAP but since I was "in the business" (it was just pre-E911) I'm not sure exactly how it works today. Does an E911 call go to the same call center as a POTS dialed 911 call would go or does it go to some "private" call center who forwards it to the proper emergency service? Back then there were lots of 911 errors when calls went to a PSAP in the wrong area, wrong state or no one answered or the PSAP that was called had no idea what to do which is what eventually led to the gov't getting involved. I know it has changed, but I'm curious on how it functions now as far as call routing.

Default Re: (E)911 Question

At least in my case, Voipo E911 gets routed to the same PSAP as a POTS dialed call. I called the PSAP on the administrative line and asked to make a test call using Voip. It worked exactly as it did when using POTS.

Quote Originally Posted by uhf View Post
    At least in my case, Voipo E911 gets routed to the same PSAP as a POTS dialed call. I called the PSAP on the administrative line and asked to make a test call using Voip. It worked exactly as it did when using POTS.
    How do you find the adminstrativephone line to run the test? I've been wanting to do a test call but didn't want the police to come knocking at my door.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd View Post
    How do you find the adminstrativephone line to run the test? I've been wanting to do a test call but didn't want the police to come knocking at my door.
    Call the non-emergency number for your police department during normal business hours and ask. You could also look in the government section of your local phone directory for a number for something like "emergency management" or similar and call and inquire there. In my case I happened to know that our PSAP is operated by the County Sheriff's office, so I called the non-emergency number for that agency and asked how to do a 911 test call.

Thanks. I will do that.