Thread: Porting w/ past due balance

Default Porting w/ past due balance

I have a friend who's in miserable shape financially (going through divorce), and I try to give advice where I can. They live in PA (I'm mentioning it in case laws/processes vary by state) and since my experience w/ Voipo has been fantastic (especially with the annual pricing), I'm anxious to suggest it to them as an easy way to save $30-50/mo, but I've been biting my lip because I wasn't sure if VZ could refuse to port until they're paid up. They have a small home business, and losing access to their phone # is a non-starter. I scanned through the FCC site, and it doesn't look like VZ can refuse the port, but I couldn't find any explicit statement on the site one way or the other.

Any info is appreciated!

Default Re: Porting w/ past due balance

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!

They generally can't refuse a port for a past due balance, but if the number gets disconnected for any one (which it could be for a past due balance), they can reject it.

So the past due balance is not an issue as long as it stays active.

Good news is that landline ports are being confirmed in a matter of days with our new porting system. If they decide to order, I'd recommend submitting it ASAP and if you want to PM me the number I can make sure it gets submitted right away.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by usa2k View Post
    Thanks... I did see that quote on the FCC site, but mentioning wireless service in that section muddied the issue a little for me. I THINK my friend would be OK to port, but I'd be more comfortable recommending Voipo if someone was certain on the issue (i.e. they ported successfully with a past due).

FWIW, my friend will make good w/ VZ with time... but with how expensive VZ is, it's tougher for my friend to dig themselves out when they're overpaying, and can't switch to a cheaper alternative.

Thanks again for any additional info.

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoTim View Post
    They generally can't refuse a port for a past due balance, but if the number gets disconnected for any one (which it could be for a past due balance), they can reject it.

So the past due balance is not an issue as long as it stays active.

Good news is that landline ports are being confirmed in a matter of days with our new porting system. If they decide to order, I'd recommend submitting it ASAP and if you want to PM me the number I can make sure it gets submitted right away.

Thanks Tim! I'll call them this weekend to discuss.

It sounds like there's business use with this line, which is not consistent with Voipo's TOS. I hope this will not become an issue...

Quote Originally Posted by fisamo View Post
    It sounds like there's business use with this line, which is not consistent with Voipo's TOS. I hope this will not become an issue...
    FWIW (so this thread doesn't tangent off in a weird direction), her home business is "Pampered Chef"- like Avon, Tupperware, etc. She doesn't have a lot of call volume, but from years of selling their product, people have that phone # if they want to place an order with her, and that's the repeat business she's scared of losing if she can't keep her current #.

Quote Originally Posted by usa2k View Post
    That's interesting because when I worked in the LNP department at Vonage ports were regularly rejected by the carriers for past due balances on active accounts. Qwest was the worst. I remember numerous 3-way calls between the customer, the losing carrier and myself. That was almost 5 years ago when this was all in its infancy so things probably have changed. It also regularly took 2-3 months to port a number. I could write a book about those days. It was insane.