Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: YouMail

Default Re: YouMail

Personally I like the idea of YouMail. I use YouMail all the time. I use GoogleVoice sometimes. It would be great to have that offered to us, and I look forward to it. Integration with YouMail would be a added benefit for me because then I could have a "one stop" shop for ALL of my voicemail.

Just my two cents, for what that's worth ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by burris View Post
    I fully subscribe to this notion that you and others have stated, and I've been saying so for years.
    I do have to agree with Burris et all. Vpanel needs a serious overhaul and would rather see the effport go there.

Personally, I would love to have the youmail option if I can still get MWI. I need that stutter tone if I have new voice mail. Same gos for a GV option but again only if I can still get the MWI with stutter tone.

I have youmail with VoicePulse, but dropping VoicePulse. The two items I like in YouMail are:
    1) The iPhone app which makes it visual voicemail
    2) The ability to play the voicemails online in a browser using the embedded flash player. No need to download the file.

I have to say though, their performance is spotty. There have been days where a VM notification did not come through for hours to email, even though SMS notification had already been received.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it is generally my take on something like this. Voipo already offers all the features and then some that I'd ever want or need from a voip provider. I'd rather not have to pay additional money for additional features (such as more voice mail features).

I've found that the more you rely on multiple services the more things can go wrong, and the harder it is to get it fixed. Just as an example, Voip is already subject to several factors - my internet connection, my house's power grid, and the Voipo network(s). If any one of those goes down, my voip phone is useless. Using a different VM provider (if I understand the proposition correctly) would add yet another area where things could go wrong. Even just adding the potential complexity of the option to select either voipo or youmail for VM could result in added VM routing/selection issues.

I don't mind added features, but again, only if I didn't have to eventually pay more for my standard voipo service package. When it comes to priorities in my service, first and foremost is reliability and call quality. Then come secondary features, and fairly low on the list is voice mail. Voipo VM already gives you a fairly wide range of features and several ways to access your messages, which is more than enough for me.

So my short answer is I have no interest in youmail, but I'm not categorically opposed to it under the assumption that 1) it won't raise costs, and 2) it won't be a potential risk to standard voipo voice mail reliability (due to things like added complexity of the system's functioning and vpanel operations/menus, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by voipotim View Post
    speaking of gv... We've though about adding an option mainly for it where you could set an alternate destination number for voicemail.

So then the system would function normally but anytime something would trigger vm, it could use the alternate number instead if set so could go to gv or whatever.

Is this something you guys would use?

definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by karlsen View Post
    I have youmail with VoicePulse, but dropping VoicePulse. The two items I like in YouMail are:
    1) The iPhone app which makes it visual voicemail
    2) The ability to play the voicemails online in a browser using the embedded flash player. No need to download the file.

I have to say though, their performance is spotty. There have been days where a VM notification did not come through for hours to email, even though SMS notification had already been received.
    #2 is a good point. It would seem like a fairly simple task to code an embedded player into the voicemail page. It's not a huge deal to have the player open separately when listening to VMs, but it's one extra window to close afterwards, which is a minor hassle.

Thumbs up Re: YouMail

Quote Originally Posted by frankd1 View Post
    #2 is a good point. It would seem like a fairly simple task to code an embedded player into the voicemail page. It's not a huge deal to have the player open separately when listening to VMs, but it's one extra window to close afterwards, which is a minor hassle.
    I vote for a VOIPo Flash Message player before a 3rd party VM offering.

I used to get messages from ... Vonage? packet8?
    Whoever, the email attachments did not need to download to Media Player either. That was user friendly. Its a wonder GMail does not make an easy way to listen.

Really it just needs to come as MP3.
    I emailed myself an MP3 and it plays right from FF/GMail.
    There is a Play and Download link. That would be an A+ improvement.

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!

I have VOIPo voicemail sent to my email. It come as a .wav file, and Outlook plays it without downloading it, using "Preview."

Quote Originally Posted by caseydoug View Post
    I have VOIPo voicemail sent to my email. It come as a .wav file, and Outlook plays it without downloading it, using "Preview."
    Ah. See, I don't use a PC based client. The last company I worked at for years would never sanction Outlook as anything but evil.

In 1999 when we were bought, IT was less successful banning outlook from the top executives. We initially used Pegasus, and now Thunderbird was being looked on favorably. (Yes, some PCs even run WIN3.1, but most run XP or Ubuntu in that workplace.)

GMail is widely popular, so that demographic can still be annoyed by wav files. I guess the flip-side is how well does Outlook handle MP3?

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!