Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nomorobo.com

Default Re: Update on Nomorobo functionality

For a few weeks now since the Nomorobo has kicked in, we have had some peace and quiet.
    For whatever reason, the telemarketers have been quite active lately.

Thanks for the feature..

Thumbs up Re: Update on Nomorobo functionality

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoTim View Post
    Thanks, they were great to work with. We're very happy to be the first fully integrated provider.
    I knew I'd picked a winner when I signed on with VOIPO. Heard about Nomorobo being the FTC challenge winner, but just happened to discover a few days ago that my very own VOIP service was leading the pack!

Tim, have you really made one billion, five hundred forty-two million, one hundred twenty seven thousand, nine hundred twenty-five posts? Or do you get to set your own number because your the man with a plan?

Also, for the various and sundry forums I've participated in through the past many year, NEVER, EVER saw the CEO participate. Maybe a senior engineer or customer service type, but very impressive your participation. One does wonder though, with a fast growing business to manage, how do you have time for this and a social life?

Thank you for GREAT VALUE. I'm from the old school when AT&T WAS the 'phone company! Ever see Lily Tomlin do her Ernestine the telephone operator routine? Now THAT was customer service to complain about! Of course it was so funny, because it was so true!

Thanks again for great service, great value and leading edge technology.

Default Re: Nomorobo.com

Update...

We're almost done with this and doing final testing of our integration. The option to enable NoMoRobo will be available in vPanel in the very near future.
    Hi Tim .... How close is the "Very Near Future?" Your last update was end of May. I am being bombarded with crap calls day and night and am on every "do not call" list out there. Unfortunately these callers use spoofed & random caller-id so NoMoRobo will probably be useless but if it even stops one more annoying call it would be better than nothing.

EDIT: Guess I should have read PAGE 2! Just saw a message it is available ..... yikes, better check vPanel.
    Last edited by MisterEd; 08-10-2014 at 08:49 PM.

MisterEd..

Definitely activate it...you will be surprised. You will get used to hearing the phone ring once and then nothing. Music to my ears.

It is working for us quite nicely. Activated Thursday, Friday phone rang once, then silence. Yet Friday night the school announcement came through just fine. How do they do that? Whatever they are doing, I hope the robots don't figure out a way around it.

Thank you VOIPO. Great job!

Frankly, while it may be a great idea it really is pretty useless because it takes seconds for a smart call-spammer to learn how to spoof a caller-ID. NOMOROBO used known "databased" numbers. 99% of the call I get come from obviously spoofed caller-ID's. They are non-existant numbers and change regularly. I get like 6 calls a week from "Credit Card Services" and every call is a different number, different state and different name. I get the same thing from many other services including chimney repair, home insurance and "you've won a free cruise". So for me, of course YMMV, NOMOROBO is useless. So far I got ONE "one ring" NOMOROBO intercept but have still received dozens of spoofed caller-ID sales calls.

Can't imagine how the FEDS gave this their prize as it is so obvious on how to get around it. I guess I answered my own question ... it's the feds. So for me ...... bleh. Pretty useless. I'm glad to hear others get calls from folks in the database that can be intercepted but I am still being bombarded. You can't beat these folks other than to send all calls to VM.

As an aside, some local idiots who constantly call with real numbers, I just forward their calls to either the local PD or the NYC FBI office. Sometimes I make appointments with them and give them the local PD address for my home address. Maybe if I waste enough of their time they will go away. If I had 3 days to type I could tell you all kinds of funny stories of things I do with "Credit Card Services." They are nationally known and have been shut down a couple times but just pop right back up like the weeds in my back yard. I also enjoy "funnin'" with the Nigerian spammers.

I dumped NOMOROBO. It's not helping me at all with all the spoofed caller-id calls (which are 90% of the problem here) plus MANY calls are ringing through anyway (not even sure if they are "bad" calls that are supposed to be blocked) but when I look in my call log they are not there. So something is messed up. Not sure if it is a NOMOROBO issue or a VOIPO BETA issue. In any case, it's useless for me so I disabled it and, generally speaking, NOMOROBO itself seems to be pretty useless just because of the fact most of the sales & robo calls are spoofed caller-ID calls. This might not be true for the boonies of America but out here in the NY/NJ/CT megaopolis the robo and sales callers are smart enough to use spoofed caller-ID. Of course YMMV but that has been my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd View Post
    I dumped NOMOROBO. It's not helping me at all with all the spoofed caller-id calls (which are 90% of the problem here) plus MANY calls are ringing through anyway (not even sure if they are "bad" calls that are supposed to be blocked) but when I look in my call log they are not there. So something is messed up. Not sure if it is a NOMOROBO issue or a VOIPO BETA issue. In any case, it's useless for me so I disabled it and, generally speaking, NOMOROBO itself seems to be pretty useless just because of the fact most of the sales & robo calls are spoofed caller-ID calls. This might not be true for the boonies of America but out here in the NY/NJ/CT megaopolis the robo and sales callers are smart enough to use spoofed caller-ID. Of course YMMV but that has been my experience.
    Unless Miami is considered the boonies, this program is working quite well here.

On occasion a call gets through, but maybe it's one that's allowed due to the type of call.

In any event, when I do get a call that I don't want, I simply block it on my call history page.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd View Post
    We see a good amount of calls blocked by it so it's working in general. Unfortunately no method of blocking is ever going to be 100% and it's always going to be somewhat of a cat and mouse game with telemarkters getting more creative to find ways around it.

It's just a tool to use to help reduce and block them, but no tool will never get 100%.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

We see a good amount of calls blocked by it so it's working in general. Unfortunately no method of blocking is ever going to be 100% and it's always going to be somewhat of a cat and mouse game with telemarkters getting more creative to find ways around it.

It's just a tool to use to help reduce and block them, but no tool will never get 100%.
    The biggest issue I've had (other than the internal blocking mechanism seems to work better after I filter the call) is that Nomorobo seems to block people using Skype. I had to remove it from one of my lines because I have a regular Skype caller.