Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Renewal

Default Re: Renewal

I find myself in a similar situation with my term ending in a couple weeks. I've spent a few hours this morning exploring my options. The service at voipo hasn't been great but the price is good. Did you find a solution to the price, as it doesn't make sense for me to stay at full price either when i can switch back to vonage or other places for cheaper. They have me marked down for a renewal @ $185 per year, so more than double the cost for new customers. Did you end up switching to a different provider or did they honor the same price point for you? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by WHiZ View Post
    I find myself in a similar situation with my term ending in a couple weeks. I've spent a few hours this morning exploring my options. The service at voipo hasn't been great but the price is good. Did you find a solution to the price, as it doesn't make sense for me to stay at full price either when i can switch back to vonage or other places for cheaper. They have me marked down for a renewal @ $185 per year, so more than double the cost for new customers. Did you end up switching to a different provider or did they honor the same price point for you? Thanks.
    I do have a question about one comment you made....that about the service not being great but the price being good...

I'm positive I'm quite a bit older than you and wonder about how you view the need for telephone service.
    For me, although I have cell phones, it is important to have a reliable working line, VOIP in this case. I have been with VOIPo since the beginning beta days and if the service was as you indicated it is for you, I would have been long gone...at any price. For me, the service has worked very well and of course as you say, the price is great.

It just sounds as if price might be the only factor in your decision..what is your crossover point, price vs. service, that would cause you to stay or leave the company?

Just curious...I don't work for them..

Quote Originally Posted by burris View Post
    I do have a question about one comment you made....that about the service not being great but the price being good...

I'm positive I'm quite a bit older than you and wonder about how you view the need for telephone service.
    For me, although I have cell phones, it is important to have a reliable working line, VOIP in this case. I have been with VOIPo since the beginning beta days and if the service was as you indicated it is for you, I would have been long gone...at any price. For me, the service has worked very well and of course as you say, the price is great.

It just sounds as if price might be the only factor in your decision..what is your crossover point, price vs. service, that would cause you to stay or leave the company?

Just curious...I don't work for them..
    Well, I can't speak for anyone other than myself. Based on what i've read, a lot of people have had few to no issues, others have had some. Sadly I've had my fair share of issues and worked with the support team to correct them.

As for my personal story, I just ported over to VoIPo mid last year. I actually had been a loyal Vonage customer since a little after they first started serving the public mainstream back in 2002. Obviously my choice back then was, like you, wanting to make sure I had a reliable home phone, but I wanted it at a cost much lower as I was fed up with the high TelCo charges. I was thoroughly impressed by Vonage, and loved getting all of the additional calling features, although i never really used most of them, all thrown in free. Heck between the old caller-id and call-waiting charges alone from the TelCo that was half the cost of my monthly Vonage Bill.

Anyways, time went on, Vonage raised some rates over the years, but the service remained impeccable. I never really had outages or other issues for my 7ish years with them. But alas, times change, and I needed to cut costs in my household budget last year. Like most people, I didn't necessarily realize what all my alternative options were as I was happy with the service I had been getting so I never bothered to check elsewhere. Upon doing some research I found I had been drastically overpaying for a service where just about every other competitor was charging about half as much or less. Vonage, in being one of the first and largest out there, was able to keep it's prices much higher, and I hadn't realized it. Meanwhile, there was now a competitive VoIP marketplace out there.

As for VoIPo, I originally stumbled upon them from a HostGator newsletter, as i'm a customer there as well and love the service they provide me. The services sounded comparable to what i had from Vonage, the price point was much better, and it was partnered with a company I trusted. So long story short, I chose to go with them with very high hopes and good expectations.

As for my experience with VoIPo, I have found the Support Staff to be professional, and that they respond to your concerns, questions, and issues quickly. I can't ask much more than that, as you can't always find good customer service from internet service companies nowadays. However that said, some of the issues I've had, have been on-going and others have been larger than simple fixes they could handle internally and involve another company they utilize for call routing or something.

If the judging point is, as you said, a "reliable working line", that is where the issue has been for me. I have gotten complaints from family quite frequently the past year, and calls to my cellphone because Incoming Calls to my VoIPo line were not working. They would go straight to VM, or get fast busy signals etc. I've had issues where I couldn't make outbound calls either. I've had a replacement device sent to try to fix some of the issues. Currently for example, I can receive inbound calls about 85-90% of the time with no issue, the other times the caller has the aforementioned issues. I also have an issue where the failover for the VM, if there is no answer and after it stops ringing to the caller, it gives them a long silent dead wait time of about 30 additional seconds before the VM answering message even kicks in so you can leave a message. During that time most people hang up unsure if there even is a VM or if the phone was picked up or the call was dropped etc. My phone has been like that for a long time now. Beyond that, also recently the VM emails had stopped being delivered last month, and just resumed the past day or two. Toss in a couple other minor things and you'd have my experience in a nutshell. Overall I've had number of bouts of very unreliable service or service where I could only make outbound calls but not get inbound ones etc.

However, That said, I know these issues are not common amongst most people and most people have no to few problems.

As for my specific choice this time around, obviously I'm not 100% happy with my current service but i'm happy with a lower price. Right now price is a major contributing factor to my decision. I also realize to some degree you get what you pay for. So while I would love to get service as stable as my Vonage service was, that might be an unrealistic expectation regarding infrastructure etc at the lower price point I'm looking at. As you said, there is a crossover point of value for service. As a matter of pattern, generally I'm very loyal to companies who provide me good service and the need for a land-line to me is rather important, as it both saves me money on my cell phone costs and is the phone I use most. Hope that better explains my experience and POV.

I think that there should be a process for this. Something that's convenient for a customer. Just pointing out my opinion though.