Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting close to wit's end!

Default Getting close to wit's end!

Asking for any other potential theories or ideas, please. FYI, Voipo support has been great and very responsive, but unfortunately we've not found a solution yet.

--Current major issue is calls will have the non-voipo side hearing pulsing/woo-woo-woo sound during the call, to the point of making me unintelligible. Placing the call again will not help. Doing the call in the other direction will not help. I hear the caller fine, it is only the other side hearing the pulsing.

The only thing that seems to fix this is time. Today, it happened in the afternoon for 5 calls straight. Later in the day, not a problem. I was not using my broadband connection in any other way during these times and I have 3Mb service.

I have Uverse 2wire 3600. Tried port forwarding/static IP, DMZ plus, no difference with any.

Voipo support has changed settings, put me on central and east servers, all to no effect.

Last piece of history is I was with another voip provider for 1.5 years before this with the exact same setup (except for the other provider's box was a Cisco) with not a single issue, so I am convinced it is nothing in my setup or connections.

Thanks for any comments/ideas/assistance!

Default Re: Getting close to wit's end!

Have you tried using a soft phone only (with your SIP credentials)? This would eliminate the ATA as the culprit. I was having issues with delayed audio and or dead air. I then bought sip only phones, eliminated the ATA and the problem went away. I'm not a big fan of the Grandstream ATAs.
    Proud VoIPo.com Customer since Dec 2008

Just as something that might help, just wondering about the physical location?
    Could it be close to something creating some cross-noise? I remember a DSLR
    (DSLR = http://www.dslreports.com/forum/voip) having an issue with some
    provider, but it ended up being the ATA's proximity to their computer.

Also if you have the standard cloned lines, did you try the other phone port?

Also as a stab at the issue, are you 100% sure the the right wall-wart is powering it?
    (Yes that was reported on DSLR too, when someone had "cleaned-up" their wiring.)

Most devices are well shielded and this is not a typical issue - maybe the Cisco
    is better protected.

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!

Thanks. I will try to relocate the ATA and let everyone know.

Mike

Relocating the ATA did not fix the problem.

I next tried removing the Uniden DECT phone system off the house wiring, and instead have only two corded phones tied in. In lots of testing and many long calls, at least for two days here, I am stable and noise/pulse free.

Has anyone ever heard of a DECT phone interfering with a VoIP box/service? This is the same DECT system I've had with ITPVoip for almost two years, without issues.

I am going to continue to run this way for a few more days to confirm.

Thanks,

Mike

Glad you have an improved result. I do not have DECT, mine are the 5Ghz Unidens.
    Effectively three phones as a load should have been alright too.

So you are tied into the house wiring. The NID must obviously be disconnected,
    and the wiring worked fine with the old ATA. Perhaps you can plug the DECT into
    the second phone port and leave the house wiring on the first? That would allow a
    different comparison, but not allow all three phone sources to pick up the same line.

Just thinking . . .

Companies I've tried
    VOIPo is a keeper!

usa2k,

When you say the NID must be disconnected, you mean the junction box outside my house that brings the phone line in? It is not, because I am receiving my Uverse internet off the same phone line throughout my house. I just have the standard DSL filter dongles to my phones and the ATA.

I wonder, does that change your comments at all? Knowing that I have 3Mb/sec across my wiring perfectly stable for years, as shown be speedtest.net as well?

I like the idea of using the second port as well, but that's hard to do given the placement I want for the DECT basestation (kitchen).

Thanks,

Mike

I was thinking along same lines as usa2k. You might try a different phone, or plug everything into a different wall jack somewhere. Or try powering off all other devices on the same breaker circuit. Maybe a bad surge protector. Something along those lines, possibly. Might be getting 60hz feedback into the setup somewhere.

I was concerned that there might be a dial tone voltage source fighting the ATA.
    If it were me, I'd put the DSL on the opposite wire pairs to keep the phone line
    more isolated. (Or run a direct independent line to the DSL modem.)

Never having had DSL experience, I am not sure of possible caveats.

Companies I've tried
    VOIPo is a keeper!

Thanks for the ideas. Even though I am an EE with 25 years of experience, still doesn't mean I want to run a new phone line from the basement to the second floor through finished walls!

My latest update is I got three days of clean calls with the two wired phones, then I added the DECT back in and coincidentally or not, started getting the pulsing again. It is not 60Hz. I had the pulsing during a call and ripped out the DECT during the call, but the pulsing did NOT go away. So my coincidence and theory kind of got shot there. I replaced the DSL filter on the DECT phone with a new one, long shot but something else to try.

Outside of this, I have a ticket with Voipo to see if they can send me a different ATA, Grandstream or otherwise, to see if it is directly related to my specific box.

I can't rewire the house. Not when I had almost 2 years of voip service with a Linksys box and same DECT and same wiring without any issues.