Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting close to wit's end!

Default Re: Getting close to wit's end!

As an update, a couple hiccups along the way, but it does seem the pulsing type issues are gone now that I am connected directly to my DECT, and not to the house wiring.

I'm not 100% sure of this yet -- time will tell.

If this is the case, the only real discovery is it seems the Grandstream device is more sensitive to attached wiring than the Linksys device I used to have.

Mike

To all:

Seems I found my root cause. I have Backblaze cloud backup running on my computer, which, once an hour, backs up any changed files to their server, hogging all the upload bandwidth. Even though there is supposed throttling of backblaze bandwidth, it doesn't seem to work effectively.

I was able to have a call with my wife, start the backup and get the pulsing sound. I would stop the backup during the call and the pulsing disappears. 100% correlated!

Woo hoo! But now I have to deal with backblaze!

This did not happen with Linksys/ITPVoip combo before Voipo, so I don't know why Voipo is so much more affected by this, but at least I found it!

You sure are patient, and its paying off!

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!

Quote Originally Posted by dtrose View Post
    Have you tried using a soft phone only (with your SIP credentials)? This would eliminate the ATA as the culprit. I was having issues with delayed audio and or dead air. I then bought sip only phones, eliminated the ATA and the problem went away. I'm not a big fan of the Grandstream ATAs.
    Yeah, they are very cheap looking, Vonage would send a nice Linksys RTP300 router, took care of all your network configuration and phones worked fine. Penny wise and pound foolish I guess?

Anyone have experience with the Cisco/Linksys PAP2T?

Cost is a bit more than Grandstream, but would be worth it if it resolves issues.

Mine is a PAP2T. I like it fine, but I am sure a Grandstream would be OK too.
    I have a couple collecting dust. I remember GS seemed louder, but a nice
    loud with great tone.

Its been a long time now since VOIPo shipped the PAP2T. I think the current
    ATAs are GS 502 still? The average user likely has a router these days, but having
    a built-in router likely helped customers get running sooner without feeling
    tricked into needing more hardware.

I kind of miss my old original CISCO ATA 186 I bought as my first ever ATA an
    ran it with iConnectHere.com credentials. A month later I discovered Vonage.
    I never really met an ATA that didn't work. (OK Zoom and ZyXEL were mediocre.)

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
    Anyone have experience with the Cisco/Linksys PAP2T?

Cost is a bit more than Grandstream, but would be worth it if it resolves issues.
    They are both good devices.

With that said, there is a very big reason we use HT502s primarily....they have a built in router.

With residential customers, support will literally quadruple with PAP2Ts. Since there is no router, there is option to connect them directly to a modem. 99% of issues are caused by routers mishandling traffic. The best way to resolve that is to get the router out of the picture and connect the VoIP device to the modem then connect the customer's router downstream from it. Obviously this doesn't help in situations with a combo router/modem but for cable customers or ones with a basic DSL modem (without a router), it's a magic fix that will literally solve 99% of issues.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoTim View Post
    They are both good devices.

With that said, there is a very big reason we use HT502s primarily....they have a built in router.

With residential customers, support will literally quadruple with PAP2Ts. Since there is no router, there is option to connect them directly to a modem. 99% of issues are caused by routers mishandling traffic. The best way to resolve that is to get the router out of the picture and connect the VoIP device to the modem then connect the customer's router downstream from it. Obviously this doesn't help in situations with a combo router/modem but for cable customers or ones with a basic DSL modem (without a router), it's a magic fix that will literally solve 99% of issues.
    You need to consider that your customers that used something like Vonage, were using a router before they got your service. Your HT 502 caused my Network printer and WiFi to crawl when it was in front of the router. You also should not assume that every one that uses your service has a simple setup with a USB printer. You should at least offer the option for a combo router ATA that does not take an IT to configure, you could charge an upfront fee for the device if that is what you need to keep your rates down on the service.

Any ways I am sending my ATA back to you, I am not going to bang my head to make and receive phone calls any more. Most of my life I used traditional phone service and take for granted a simple phone call that works perfect both directions. By the way my voipo support ticket is PMC-792461

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob1962 View Post
    You need to consider that your customers that used something like Vonage, were using a router before they got your service. Your HT 502 caused my Network printer and WiFi to crawl when it was in front of the router. You also should not assume that every one that uses your service has a simple setup with a USB printer. You should at least offer the option for a combo router ATA that does not take an IT to configure, you could charge an upfront fee for the device if that is what you need to keep your rates down on the service.

Any ways I am sending my ATA back to you, I am not going to bang my head to make and receive phone calls any more. Most of my life I used traditional phone service and take for granted a simple phone call that works perfect both directions. By the way my voipo support ticket is PMC-792461

Bob
    Keep in mind, that some of us do not even have the voip experience of Vonage. I came right from AT&T. My situation is that I have a combo router/modem setup, and it was not a smooth transition since I do not have an electronics or an IT background, to say the least, I was pretty frustrated.

It does not help what so ever when a person on this forum tries to make you feel inadequate because of the fact some of us do not have an electronics background. My background is aircraft structures, I operate a 20 million dollar, three story tall, N/C controlled robotics machine that assembles the whole upper half of a Boeing aircraft fuselage, all in one program, and if it has an electrical problem, you call on a specialized electrical maintenance group, because if you jack with that piece of equipment, and mess it up, believe me, it is your ass.

My point is, I think Bob is correct, you should offer a person with a router/modem combo, a friendly ATA for those of us that are electronically challenged. I would have gladly paid a small fee up front to save me from the frustration, and the ridicule from a few on this forum, in a weak attempt to make themselves feel like they are superior to us that do not have this knowledge.

BTW, I have to say, the Voipo techs were very professional and patient with me to get me up and running, and I thank them for that. They did not try and belittle me for not knowing how to set my ATA up.

This is going to be my new Land line solution. I already owned one of these for a couple of years with its own quirky problems, but they do update the software frequently and I am going to give it another go. I have an extra cell phone from my VZW business account that I do not use, but ends up cheaper to have 5 phones then 4 so my 5th phone may have found a purpose?

http://www.myxlink.com/index.aspx