Thread: Google Voice Voicemail

Default Google Voice Voicemail

I use google voice for my cell phone and it rings my voipo number when anyone calls my cell. The issue is I would like to only use google vm. If I set my voipo to ring my google voice number after a certain number of rings so it will go to that vm, I am worried about a loop being created (voipo rings google voice which in turns rings voipo again). Is there anyway around this?

Default Re: Google Voice Voicemail

In Google Voice, click on the gear icon and select Settings. For the entry of your cellphone, click Edit. Click Show Advanced Settings. Set Forwarding Options to "Go straight to voicemail". Click Save.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
    In Google Voice, click on the gear icon and select Settings. For the entry of your cellphone, click Edit. Click Show Advanced Settings. Set Forwarding Options to "Go straight to voicemail". Click Save.
    I don't see that option. I clicked "edit" under my cell and then advanced and I don't see anything for forwarding. Won't that just forward all my calls to voicemail giving me no chance to answer them?

This is an option on your mobile phone entry in GV. What it does is if you don't answer the cellphone, GV takes a message instead of ringing your other phones.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
    This is an option on your mobile phone entry in GV. What it does is if you don't answer the cellphone, GV takes a message instead of ringing your other phones.
    Google voice has nothing to do with it as when people call my voipo number, google voice has no access to that number. I think what you might mean is have the Voipo number use a simulring to first ring the voipo number then the google voice number and then setup google voice to send that number directly to vm.

You said you use GV handling voicemail for your cellphone - as do I. I said nothing about VOIPo simulring.

Assuming that you have GV ringing your cellphone and your VOIPo number (as I do), the default behavior, if someone calls your cell number directly but you don't answer, is for GV to then ring all your other GV phones. You then run the risk of VOIPo picking up and taking the message instead of GV. I gather you don't want this.

There are two solutions, actually. The first is the one I presented - where you tell GV to NOT ring your other phones if your mobile does not get answered. The other is to set "call presentation" in GV where, if you pick up, you must then press 1 to be connected.

As far as I know, there is no reasonable way to have GV handle voicemail for your VOIPo line. This has been requested.
    Steve