Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Outgoing FAX Compatilibility with VOIPO

Default Re: Outgoing FAX Compatilibility with VOIPO

I've noticed that despite all the claims in this tread that using voip for sending and receiving a fax is not dependable, that the user manual for my ATA, a Grandstream HT702 ATA, says that the fxs port can be connected to analog phones and fax machines, and that "The HT70X is a full feature voice and fax-over IP device." Also it "supports T.38 Fax." Also "T.38 compliant Group 3 Fax Relay up to 14.4kpbs and auto-switch to G.711 for Fax Pass-through, Fax Datapump V.17, V.19, V.27ter, V.29 for T.38 fax relay"

You can get the user manual from grandstream's web site.

Also, on pg 21
    FAX SUPPORT

HT70X supports FAX in two modes: 1) T.38 (Fax over IP) and 2) fax pass through. T.38 is the preferred
    method because it is more reliable and works well in most network conditions. If the service provider
    supports T.38, please use this method by selecting Fax mode to be T.38 (default). If the service provider
    does not support T.38, pass-through mode can be used.
    Also, there are some settings that can be made, however I don't see any in the "basic settings" screen, which is the only one end users have access to. There are 2 levels of access, end user access, which voipo customers have, and administrators access, which has been changed by voipo so as to keep customers out.

I'm not sure what T.38 means, and whether or not voipo supports T.38.

I am not so sure about the technical details, but I can send and receive fax using HT702 (VOIPo) provided and using a Canon MF4570dn multi functional printer without any glitch. No default settings has changed on the SIP adapter.

Fax settings has changed to:
    TX Start Speed: 9600 bps
    RX Start Speed: 9600 bps

Slower speed would be better for VoIP fax.

Again, the compatibility depends on the provider, fax machine, ATA - For me luckily the combination works good. Previously I had a HP3305 MFP and it did not work well with VOIPo, but worked with PhonePower. Now, Canon does not work well with PhonePower but works great with VOIPo. Anyways VOIPo is my primary line

I fax using the fax-modem on my computer and the Fax program that comes with windows XP. I also have a cheap flatbed scanner. Sending an outgoing fax from a MS Word file or a scanned in image is just a matter of choosing "fax" on the print-to list, instead of choosing an actual printer.

Ya think I should adjust the flow-control settings on the fax-modem? Choices are (1) hardware, (2) Xon-Xoff, or (3) off.

Also there are settings in XP for "transmit buffer" and the "receive buffer."

I was successful at sending faxes a while ago, after I turned off error correction. But now, with error correction still off, I can't send fax anymore. I can try again after I change the speed to 9600, but don't know who I can send test faxes to without annoying them! I already got out the important fax I needed to send, using voipo's [phone number]@fax.voipo.com system. Printing a MS word document to fax doesn't work out well with this system. I convert to *.tif first, then print the *.tif to Fax.
    Last edited by nomenclator; 03-15-2013 at 01:34 PM.

Acc to what I can figure out voipo does not support T.38; and vonage is one of the few companies that does. This suggests I should set my ATA to "pass-through" but I think I'd need admin priveleges to do so.

OK, I found out you can test fax, if you go to http://faxtoy.net/

I reduced my speed to 9600 and now fax is workingl Thank you JacobsLive!

Quote Originally Posted by nomenclator View Post
    OK, I found out you can test fax, if you go to http://faxtoy.net/

I reduced my speed to 9600 and now fax is workingl Thank you JacobsLive!
    You are very welcome! Glad that helped

Those who say that FAXing is hit-or-miss are correct. Much depends upon the broadband service. When I had Comcast with 6 MB speed, FAXing was usually successful. Now that I live where extended DSL at 512k is the fastest available, it's usually not successful. Voipo's outgoing FAX feature isn't reliable, either. About 50% of the FAXes which I send via Voipo are not successful. There are about 6 free FAX providers which permit sending 2 FAXes per day. I use one of these for the few that I send, and use a free e-fax account for inbound FAXes. It doesn't appear that e-fax offers free accounts any more, so try K7.com.