Thread: Switch from DSL to Cable

Default Switch from DSL to Cable

I have been with Voipo now for a while. I must admit, at first, I hit a few bumps in the road, but have now got my service working pretty well. I have DSL through AT&T. My question now is, if I change from DSL to cable, will I have to go through ironing out all the bugs again? Or will I pretty much be able to plug and play with my new cable setup?

Default Re: Switch from DSL to Cable

I had it working well with both.
    The only reason I switched from Comcast to AT&T some years back, is because at that time, in South Florida, every time it rained, the cable went down and the internet/VOIPo with it.
    Comcast has improved greatly over the last few years and as soon as AT&T starts their price changing again, I will go back to Comcast.

I will assume that your Comcast will offer at least the speed that you now have with AT&T.

Default Re: Switch from DSL to Cable

Both technologies have their pros and cons. What you wind up with is totally up to the service provider you're going to. Here in Wyoming, Optimum cable internet can be great in some towns, (Like mine), but suck in another town that has a lot of routing, switching, and old cable.

But based strictly on technology, cable should actually be better for you. DSL is a "Less Shared" service compared to cable. You have your own dedicated line from your house until it hits the DSLAM. (The equipment that puts your internet connection onto the main pipe). But cable generally has a lot more bandwidth; albeit you are connected along with all your neighbors. Also; DSL uses interleaving which creates a more stable jitter, but a much higher latency. (Usually in the 90ms range). Cable is much less.

So technically; you should do better with cable if you are getting a lot of bandwidth. But it will depend totally on your area. The best thing to do is to order cable; get the 30 day trial; keep your DSL while you're trying out the cable broadband; and simply move your voip adapter and network to it and try some voipo calls. THen you'll know if you'll need to do any tweaking or not. If you get it stable; cancel the DSL. If you don't; reconsider your options.
    Mike
    "Born Wild - Raised Proud"
    Do you like your life? - Thank a Vet!!!