Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sporadic Failover Calls in the past couple of months

Default Re: Sporadic Failover Calls in the past couple of months

I've had to switch a few clients to the alternate voipo data center to resolve registrations dropping for no reason.

Only need to move a small percentage of clients, and it does seem to resolve the registration issues.

No solid pattern, but seems to affect a small segment of cable internet users, mostly Comcast business class or Time Warner business class. Maybe there's something different about those networks?

We don't have the problem with other voip services that we have at the same locations as backup.

Getting busy signals or "all circuits are busy" on pretty much all of my accounts today.

Anyone else?

We had a hardware failure earlier this morning that was causing issues for some customers this morning. It has been resolved.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Resellers....just curious to see if this issue has gone away.

I'm not a reseller, but I've been trying to resolve this same issue for my dad on BYOD. For whatever reason, random incoming calls seem to go straight to failover when absolutely nothing seems to be wrong with his network or equipment. (ATA registered, Cable ISP is up). This has been happening a lot over the past month with no obvious explanation. I've had him change his ATA registration back and forth between sip.voipwelcome and sip7.voipwelcome with no improvement. He's cable ISP is Fidelity Communications which doesn't seem to have a large footprint, so I'm wondering if there's some routing issues going on between Voipo's Sip servers and his house. I'm going to have him try swapping out his ATA next. Currently, his ATA is temporarily in front of the router with no help either.

Has this issue occurred lately with your clients? If so, what has been your solution.....Thanks!
    Last edited by tritch; 07-19-2016 at 08:50 AM.

I may be on to something with this issue. I want to see if anyone else can verify what I'm seeing.

It appears that sometimes the registration times out early, causing a brief period for every registration cycle, where calls will failover.

Example, if my registration timeout is 10 minutes, the voipo server seems to timeout at around 9 min 20 sec. So there's about 40 seconds where calls failover.

I can increase or decrease the timeout with the same result... just more or less frequent, but still leaving a downtime every cycle.

To verify this, I simply log into a control panel and hit refresh while watching the registration as the timeout approaches. Then sure enough, I see "no devices registered" message towards the end of the registration period.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
    To verify this, I simply log into a control panel and hit refresh while watching the registration as the timeout approaches. Then sure enough, I see "no devices registered" message towards the end of the registration period. Anyone else experiencing this?
    I just did this and see that my devices actually update earlier than the timeout period by a minute or so.. Both my Voipo provided device and my BYOD PAP2. I have no issues with my lines.
    I Void Warranties.

Quote Originally Posted by chpalmer View Post
    I just did this and see that my devices actually update earlier than the timeout period by a minute or so.. Both my Voipo provided device and my BYOD PAP2. I have no issues with my lines.
    Good info.

I see that the Grandstream ATA's have a "re-register before expiration" setting.

This likely helps in situations exactly like this, where the service provider has an early timeout.

I suspect this issue has been affecting lots of BYOD users with devices that don't have a "re-register before expiration" setting.

Seems to have started in the last couple of months, perhaps after some voipo software changes/updates.

So hopefully voipo can do something on their side to set expirations correctly.

late last night, voipo resolved a clock synchronization issue, that was causing registration to expire prematurely.

registrations are now expiring accurately.

many thanks to the voipo team for working on that and getting it fixed!

GreenLantern, thanks for taking a look and your help with Voipo's team to resolve this issue. We'll see how things go from here...

Update 9/7/16: 100% fixed...not a single failover issue since. Great work!
    Last edited by tritch; 09-07-2016 at 11:20 AM.

I'm seeing this same issue again (on my father's BYOD ATA). SIP server registrations expiring 20-30 seconds prematurely causing calls to fail.

GreenLatern, would you mind confirming this is happening again? If so, could you please contact the same support person again to get this fixed...much appreciated.!!

FYI: I had him switch over to sip7 and it is occurring on there as well.
    Last edited by tritch; 04-08-2018 at 08:06 PM.